Dad's 1989 Mustang GT

• Sponsors (?)

There is a bit of play in the roof. Should I be able to press down and it give some, or should it be firm?
its a crowned stressed piece of steel. It's more a matter of that than it having any support beneath it ( which only runs across the roof in the center). The fact that it's pressed or formed as a single piece gives it its strength.
And as a result it's rigidity..it really shouldnt move when you press on it unless your pushing on it really hard.

The more I remove stuff, the filthier it looks. (Photo below was after vacuuming the floor board). I have had to spray the rear bolts of the driver seat with some WD-40 As they are pretty rusted in. But I looked at the bottom of the car and I’m not seeing much rust under there, so that’s a good sign!

We are also having trouble getting that back seat out. No matter how hard we push at the bottom of the seat, it will not budge. Thinking maybe there’s a bit of rust under there keeping it from moving? Or is there a special trick we are missing?

BA5152F7-F5FB-4A62-A9FD-2B3B3C008912.jpeg

Reactions: 1 user
For the 84-89 rear seats. Kneel down in front of the seat and basically punch the front edge towards the rear of the car while pulling up. There is a bar on the seat that needs to get past a hook on the floor pan. Sometimes the hooks get compressed down slightly and pinch the bar, so you just need ot muscle the seat back far enough to clear it. A good punch or even a kick rearwards can get it done.

The bottom of the seat bolts poke all the way through the floor pan. It helps to spray lubricant on the threads as well. ( if you havent already ).

The rear seat can be a bear. Like 5l5 said sometimes you've got to man handle it. Sometimes you can pull the front corner of the seat up and use a light to see the hook and wire. It's a difficult process. If the wire bends it can be straightened out but be mindful that its embedded in the foam padding. I've used long pry bars to get them loose...but I've been fighting these seats for years.

PS, that seat cover on the rear seat can easily be removed from the foam. Clip the hog rings and off it will come. Soak it in simple green and toss it in the washing machine and then let it dry. You can also hose down the foam. Let it dry well before putting it back together. Just need some hog rings and some hog ring pliers and it's a 10 min job. Very simple.

Reactions: 1 users
Just wanted to post a little update. We finally got all the seats out (the drivers side had many rounds of PB blaster applied to persuade the bolts to loosen) and have most of the interior trim removed. Some rodents made the spot under the rear seat it’s home, and I found lots of interesting things under there, including over $5 in change and one of the previous owners’ paycheck stubs. I also found a pretty thick stack of scratch off tickets under the drivers seat. Unfortunately, none of them were winners. :(

Next up will be removing that nasty looking carpet and clean everything up. I feel like I’ve already cleaned out several tons of dirt and still have several tons more to go. I’ll get these interior trim pieces cleaned up and looking new again. One of the pieces has a crack where the front seat belts disappeared behind it, so I’ll have to get something to fix it. I also am considering ordering the interior screw kit because there are lots of them missing from the car, while the ones that were there are pretty rusted looking.

D6E96976-79EF-4430-AEE7-02C33F8725B8.jpeg
410A8882-2A3E-4247-A782-E0C426A928DA.jpeg

Reactions: 3 users
I recommend with the carpet to spray it down in carpet cleaner, and then use a pressure washer to clean it. If you dont have a personal one take it to a self-clean car wash and use there's

I'm planning to replace with fresh carpet. This carpet is faded and way too far gone to save, as with the seat upholstery (it's got holes and rips in it). The headliner also will need complete replacing, as the rodents used the area above the headliner as their bathroom.