Dad's 1989 Mustang GT

The houses ar the radiator are going to the power steering cooler. Those lines are regular 3/8 transmission hose from any parts store and sold by the foot. Very cheap and easy to fix. These cars use mercon dexron for the power steering fluid ( red ) not the power steering fluid sold in most stores ( clear ).

An old trick I use to keep rodents out of engine bays is to dissolve moth balls in hot water and spray around th he engine bay. Rodents hate it and the smell will go away to us in a couple days ....but they can smell it for a very long time.

Reactions: 1 user
  • Sponsors (?)

Quick question. What is this thing? Anyone know? There’s nothing installed on the other side of the roof, so I’m at a loss....
4F26A6EB-389F-451C-A723-429E11479903.jpeg

Missing the bulb. The contacts inside usually corrode as well causing them to not work.

Usually you can take them down and refurb them a bit, but probably not high on the list of tings to do right now

That sent doesn't look too bad. There is a reinforcment under that dent ( I believe ). Once you drop the headliner wer can give some advise on the fix. Davedacarpainter is the man...but a few of us do bodywork for a livin'. I'm a mechanic but know enough about bodywork to get myself in trouble.

Reactions: 1 users
Last night, I took some window cleaner and a bucket of water to the back hatch area. It's amazing what a little bit of soap in a spray bottle will do.

I'm noticing that the rubber around the window on the inside of the back glass is coming off. Is this hard to replace/fix? I've tried to find videos or posts about how to fix this but I"m not sure the keywords that I'm using are right.

Also, it looks like the strip along the defroster lines on the passenger side are coming off the glass.

Clean Hatch Window.JPG
B35F9C82-30BB-47DE-9CEB-353C8A320870.jpeg

Last edited:
You will probably have to have that hatch window removed and reinstalled by a professional.

Cleaning the car up really well is the perfect place to start. Then you can see what is in good physical condition, and what is coming apart.

You will probably have to have that hatch window removed and reinstalled by a professional.

Cleaning the car up really well is the perfect place to start. Then you can see what is in good physical condition, and what is coming apart.
Well, I have to have the front window replaced since someone cracked it in a nice little circle pattern. They can be done at the same time.

I got the hatch area carpet removed last night and got started cleaning up the caked up dirt back there. I’ve got a whole weekend to get this car really clean, but boy did it get cold here in North Texas! It was in the 70s yesterday and now I’m wearing a sweater... Not sure how much will get done in this cold.

Does the latch on the hatch only work via power? The hatch will not latch, and therefore won’t close properly. I have a new battery but have not yet purchased the new battery cables. I also still need to get the injection harness, and I need to figure out what the other cables are that need to be patched. There’s at least two wires that need to be patched up in the corner by the passenger door.

The hatch will work with the door key, you may have to adjust the catch that the latch grabs on to, the catch should have a plastic bushing on the shaft, also make sure the latch works by pushing on it with a screwdriver.
1979-93 MUSTANG HATCH & DECKLID STRIKERS & LIGHTING

• lrs-40442a_80e1b191.jpg
    Hatch Striker (81-86)

#LRS-40442A
    17 reviews
    $24.99
    Look for the discount code in the vendors forum, the vendors in the forum should have a discount code for stangnet members

The hatch will work with the door key, you may have to adjust the catch that the latch grabs on to, the catch should have a plastic bushing on the shaft, also make sure the latch works by pushing on it with a screwdriver.
1979-93 MUSTANG HATCH & DECKLID STRIKERS & LIGHTING

• lrs-40442a_80e1b191.jpg
    Hatch Striker (81-86)

#LRS-40442A
    17 reviews
    $24.99
    Look for the discount code in the vendors forum, the vendors in the forum should have a discount code for stangnet members
I have to get a new set of door locks. If my dad had a key for the doors, we didn’t know about it. Also, the bushing is gone on the striker. The latch doesn’t move at all. I’ll post a photo or two when I get back home.

Mine didn’t like to latch when the striker bushing was missing. Once I replaced that bushing and adjusted the striker correctly, it now shuts well. It just has to be adjusted properly to trigger the latch.

• Agree
It could be. Take it off and soak it in a bowl of WD40 or the likes while you wait for a new striker to come in the mail. They are pretty much impossible to find, unless you get lucky enough to find one in better shape on a car in a junk yard.