Daily driver supercharger

sam adams

Feb 14, 2009
VA
I am looking at getting a blower for my 08 gt and was wondering which brand was the best for a daily driver as far as reliability and drivability? which brand gives the best bang for the buck?

• Sponsors (?)

My car is a daily driver. It makes the commute so much more palatable. I have a Vortech V2 (centrifugal) blower with a conservative tune. I told the tuner that it was a daily driver and asked that he keep the tune very safe, accordingly. He also wrote a second tune that's more aggressive for track days.

Vortech has been in business a long time with a reputation for reliability. Also, as centrifugal blowers make more and more boost as rpm's rise (with little boost in normal driving at lower rpm's) they aren't as hard on your drivetrain.

There really aren't any "bad" blowers on the market, so it really comes down to getting a proper dyno tune to keep things safe & reliable.

Best bang-for-the-buck? That's very subjective and you'll get a heated debate going with that question. I believe the Vortech V2 or V3 is great bang-for-the-buck. I paid $3,700 for a brand new V2 last year (non-intercooled) and gained 140 flywheel hp. That's only $26 per hp. Even adding in labor, custom dyno tuning, and a few miscellaneous parts, the grand total was about $5,300, which is about $38 per hp.

Compare that to the FRPP 500 flywheel hp blower. Parts and labor averages about $7500 for that set up and nets you 200 flywheel hp improvement. That's also about $38 per hp. Same cost per hp, just more power & more money. That's kind of par for the course. So, they're both great bang-for-the-buck when you compare what you get for the money you spend.

A lot of tuners are having sales atm. JDM is selling Saleens blowers for around 4800$ (next 2 weeks). I was looking at getting a supershaker, I have a shakerhood...but now I am really looking hard a a Rotrex. Been reading a lot of good things about them, and I was quoted a very tempted price for a polished kit.

Jegs has this one on sale....

Paxton #769-1001852SL

# Novi-2200 SL High-Output Superchager System Fits 2007-08 Mustang GT
# Satin Finish
# 470 horsepower
# 420 lb./ft. torque
# 9-10 psig

More Details Was: $5,187.99
Now: $4,099.99
Ships
Tomorrow

Jegs has this one on sale....

Paxton #769-1001852SL

# Novi-2200 SL High-Output Superchager System Fits 2007-08 Mustang GT
# Satin Finish
# 470 horsepower
# 420 lb./ft. torque
# 9-10 psig

More Details Was: $5,187.99
Now: $4,099.99
Ships
Tomorrow

And with the money you save slap on a custom intake manifold like the C&L one when it comes out and you're in business. Sounds like a plan to me.

Spend that money on GT500 fuel pumps instead !! :nice:

Yeah that's what I am looking at. All I am trying to do now is figure out if the rotrex charger will void my warranty. It comes with a 2 year one, and 3 year on car, but ford sometimes can be anal about this stuff.

I know the supershaker would be ok, but with rotrex deal I was offered, I could get GT500 pumps and just be over 20 bucks from the cost of the Saleen unit WITHOUT pumps. But all of that is mute if I lose my warranty in the process..