Damaged rack and pinion hydraulic transfer line

Olivethefet

I will own your nuts! LOL
5 Year Member
May 17, 2018
Enterprise AL
I just got a new 03 Cobra rack from Rock Auto to go on my 92 fox body. Problem is one of the hydraulic transfer lines, the longest one, was damaged in shipping. Where the tube bends over to screw into the rack it is almost flat. Rock Auto has offered to pay for the replacement part and reimburse labor for fixing it. I would rather take them up on this rather than ship it back and possibly have the same issue. I can't for the life of me find one of these tubes for sale. I've found ones that will fix a fox rack but I dont know if they will fit this rack. I did a search on StangNet before posting this but didnt see where this had come up before. The tube on my old rack is broken so I can't use it. Thanks!
20181125_091154.jpg
20181125_091154.jpg

Attachments

• 20181125_091206.jpg
    20181125_091206.jpg
    307.5 KB · Views: 374
  • Sponsors (?)

post link for the fox tubes? Those should work as replacements.

That line is frequently damaged when shipping racks because it's never protected in that spot. One good bounce and it's kinked. Very common issue, and most have just swapped Fox lines on

Reactions: 1 user
Thanks for the advice! After doing some comparing last nigh,t of the new rack to the old one, I think the fox body line will work. Making a new one isn't a bad idea, but I don't have much experience bending and flaring tubing. I would have thought that ordering a new line wouldn't be an issue, but I cant find one on any of the major websites.

Reactions: 1 user
The racks are basically the same from the 80s intil the 2000. Salvage one from any mustang up to 04 in the junk yard. Take the bent line with you to make sure they're the same. V6s are all over the yards everywhere. 5 dollar fix.

I'd be inclined to counter pinch that kink with vice grips while simultaneously pulling up on the line a little. It might come back into shape. Maybe not perfectly but the kink will likely open back up and allow normal function. If you look at the flare fitting in the rack you'll see the hole is smaller than the inside diameter of the line. So a slight restriction in the line shouldn't hurt anything. I know, I'm Bubba....

I'd be inclined to counter pinch that kink with vice grips while simultaneously pulling up on the line a little. It might come back into shape. Maybe not perfectly but the kink will likely open back up and allow normal function. If you look at the flare fitting in the rack you'll see the hole is smaller than the inside diameter of the line. So a slight restriction in the line shouldn't hurt anything. I know, I'm Bubba....
I would try that too, couldn’t hurt.

Last edited: