DAMN MY NOVI IS SHREDDING THE BELT ALREADY!

ADRENLN

Apr 16, 2003
NJ
this is dissapointing! i just got the car back yesterday. its not even broken in yet and i havent even been able to make a full pull on the dyno yet and the belt is shredding.

it is shredding the belt toward the back of the belt the side toward the firewall. i assume things are just not aligned properly. i was smelling a burning smell while i was just out hitting the boost fairly hard. i thought it was the new clutch but maybe it was the belt rubbing....would i smell that?

this is terrible ill see if i can post some pics later.

• Sponsors (?)

That sucks. I know that feeling, when i got my setup, i had belt issues also for the first 6 months. I kept shredding them, its such a let down when ur all excited.

Just figure out where its out of alignment and add some shims, thats what was with mine along with the wrong size alt pulley, so it was just throwing everything off. make sure the belt isnt too big also and also look at the tensioner to make sure its holding up under boost.

talked to my builder and he said every 8 rib kit he has done he sees slight wear on the belts but he wants to look at it. he said the slight wear meaning little hairs is not a problem as long as it dont take a rib.

for now he said just put some miles on it continue to break it in but stay out of heavy boost. :(

he thinks it might be the tensioner he wants to see it and get me a new belt. after he checks it out and puts the new belt on he is going to do the full dyno pull. that is if this belt last 250miles while i break in the new clutch. (spec stage 3) so far great clutch with no sound.

so far i have only put 60 miles on the car that includes dyno runs and some hard driving, but the belt has rubber slivers hanging off it. worse then hairs.

well, i hope this isnt going to be an 8 month nightmare with belts. i will be pissed with the amount of money i gave my builder. i hope he can get things together.

i know how you feel!!

how did you shim your blower pulley?? the spacer that RR sends is not correct. post pics and i'll try to help. FWIW my car hasnt thrown a belt or even roughed up the edges since the 8 rib conversion.

mine was jumping the PS pump and shredding the ribs off. what size pulley and what size belt do you have? is there an OD crank pulley??

i would HIGHLY recomend a napa/gates HD belt. they are the solid green ones, you cant miss them

i will post up a pic when i get home late tonight. it looks to me as if the most daamage is arounf the water pump pulley, but that is just where the belt stopped when i turned off the car.

i only took one pic of the worst damage that i can see. please let me know if you think i should continue to drive like this once i post the pic. i dont think my builder doesnt think its this bad.

anyway, it looks like its almost over the lip on the water pump pulley.

my builder shimed it i dont know how he did it but he def said he had to shim it up and it took him forever.:shrug: my 8 rib was from gijoe and it came with whatever belt he sent, ill have to ask my builder the size. i have a 3.0 pulley. i would get the green belt but i have to find out whats off first.

btw, thanks for the help. the car is so much fun to drive now, but i cant even enjoy it now.

the belt size is written on it
mine says 081074 on it. first 2 numbers tell you how many ribs it has, the last 4 numbers give you the length of the belt.

also check to see if he ground the stop tab off your tensioner to give it full swing.

get the pics up if you can. one from the top looking down at the pulleys and one from the top looking over the pass side fender at the s/c and alt pulleys

Mine tossed 7 belts, and had to be towed 3 times. I blame the Reichart Racing pulley, and my builder said that 8-rib setups are VERY tricky to align. But it's possible to get them running right, I just didn't have the patience. Good luck brother, may the patron saint of boost shine upon you.

Ive got GI joe's 8 rib kit too. My belt was rubbing against the spacer on the vortech bracket right before it went around the supercharger pulley. On the 1st run at the track, it snapped that metal spacer off the welds on the bracket and tossed the idler pulley. Had to tow it to a shop, i was pissed. My shop ended up putting on a wider 8 rib idler pulley from a procharger setup on and had to shim the crap out of the supercharger to align everything. Finally it stays together. Its stupid that the idler pulley after all the vortech parts and GI joe 8 rib kit parts installed is still stock and thinner than the belt. I would have hoped somebody included a better idler pulley.

Picture004.jpg

Picture003.jpg

Picture001.jpg

in the pics the belt dont look too bad, but there are some spots where the belt has alot more damage. i thought the belt would wear evenly since it spins so fast but that is not the case. why would it wear worse in certain spots? hard boost?

Thats not as bad as mine was, mine would take out a few ribs. But it is rubbing and wearing when it shouldnt be. One reason it could be doing it in certain spots is because under heavy load there is some flex in the bracket and it could misalign stuff very slightly under heavy load to cause that.