Dart Or Stock?

• Sponsors (?)

Get the 383 is a chevy thing outta your head, also I've never heard of that mustang sound, sound is relative to header, h pipe with or without cats and muffler/ tailpipe thing. You can tune your exhaust to an extent. As for horse power, every body loves the big hp numbers but it the torque numbers that get you moving, if your building a street crusier get your torque in the right place and the hp will follow through. Just remember, you gotta slow all that hp down so save some budget for brake upgrades.

That is incorrect. A ford V8 sounds like a ford V8 for a reason. It's the reason that you can hear a 5.0 or 4.6 mustang w/ a noisy assed exhaust system from several blocks away, and know that it's a noisy assed Mustang, instead of a noisy assed Camaro.
It has everything to do with the firing order, and how the header tubes are paired on the exhaust.

Reactions: 1 user
That is incorrect. A ford V8 sounds like a ford V8 for a reason. It's the reason that you can hear a 5.0 or 4.6 mustang w/ a noisy assed exhaust system from several blocks away, and know that it's a noisy assed Mustang, instead of a noisy assed Camaro.
It has everything to do with the firing order, and how the header tubes are paired on the exhaust.
that's exactly what I thought. I knew I wasn't crazy lmao

You are right mike, but I was not speaking about be'n noisy, more about different sounds from parts like long tubes and a straight pipe to a muffler verses shorties + cats + mufflers + tail pipes
And yes we can tell a stang v8 with loud exhaust vs a camaro with loud exhaust but most can't, they just think it's loud.
I can also tell the difference between my shovel head with drag pipes and an evo with drag pipes

You are right mike, but I was not speaking about be'n noisy, more about different sounds from parts like long tubes and a straight pipe to a muffler verses shorties + cats + mufflers + tail pipes
And yes we can tell a stang v8 with loud exhaust vs a camaro with loud exhaust but most can't, they just think it's loud.
I can also tell the difference between my shovel head with drag pipes and an evo with drag pipes
cool.

do you care to share your opinion on my # 20 post if you have one? I'm searching youtube vids now of 427's just to get a hint of an idea.

this SN95 here is dayummmmmmmmmmmmmm:
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tfuyJS5F04Q

I wonder how much more HP and Tq will you gain going from a 408 to a 427 with the same components. I know I originally said a 400W for me but I'm comparing a 408 to 427 because I know how much HP my boy is making with his 408 and it's 511 hp.

I haven't looked at any other engine vids because one of my other questions was after a 427, what's the other cubes that's common going upwards?

If your asking me for my opinion on your list of parts and your intended use for your ride, well the parts list is out of my league, I driven enought vehicles to know the difference between a comfortably fast car and a race car driven on the street so my opinion here will not count.
But thanks for asking.:nice:

I'm n
I'm not talking about loudness (it just goes with the territory) I'm talking about sound characteristics that make a windsor V8 sound like a Windsor V8. Especially noteable when comparing an old piece of sht SBC 1-8-4-3-6-5-7-2. with it's siamesed ex valve/ port config against a typical SBF 1-3-7-2-6-5-4-8. Even the LS sound is affected by the different order 1-8-7-2-6-5-4-3 (which I personally loved.)

Lately though, I now prefer this order for the best sound
zjlimited_53.gif

Reactions: 1 user
If your asking me for my opinion on your list of parts and your intended use for your ride, well the parts list is out of my league, I driven enought vehicles to know the difference between a comfortably fast car and a race car driven on the street so my opinion here will not count.
But thanks for asking.:nice:
from what you just said sounds like you should know what I'm talking about as to cubes, relation to a daily driver, ect. If not it's all good lol.

Or put aside my list of parts and give recommendations possibly for an EFI car as a streetcar. Anything upwards of a 408 and rather you think on the street it will be something that I would want.

cool.

do you care to share your opinion on my # 20 post if you have one? I'm searching youtube vids now of 427's just to get a hint of an idea.

this SN95 here is dayummmmmmmmmmmmmm:
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tfuyJS5F04Q

I wonder how much more HP and Tq will you gain going from a 408 to a 427 with the same components. I know I originally said a 400W for me but I'm comparing a 408 to 427 because I know how much HP my boy is making with his 408 and it's 511 hp.

I haven't looked at any other engine vids because one of my other questions was after a 427, what's the other cubes that's common going upwards?

Ok, first off building an engine with parts like on your list are beyond me, I have no experience in that area. There are people here that have way more experience in that area and I'm sure they will chime in, all I can say is good luck, post some pics as it comes together and I'll see you on the street.
Remember, It ain't any fun unless you beat on it.

Oops, that maybe CT worthy, don't tell noobz.

Ok, first off building an engine with parts like on your list are beyond me, I have no experience in that area. There are people here that have way more experience in that area and I'm sure they will chime in, all I can say is good luck, post some pics as it comes together and I'll see you on the street.
Remember, It ain't any fun unless you beat on it.

Oops, that maybe CT worthy, don't tell noobz.
here,...I'll quote it so there's a copy just incase you decide to edit your's
Ohh.....@Noobz347..... Your new mod wants to change his CT.....

For a fun street car with A/C,stock block 408 is all you need.
Dart block 427 is only needed if you plan on making serious steam.
Said 427,will break all the stock parts from the flywheel back.

I'm n

I'm not talking about loudness (it just goes with the territory) I'm talking about sound characteristics that make a windsor V8 sound like a Windsor V8. Especially noteable when comparing an old piece of sht SBC 1-8-4-3-6-5-7-2. with it's siamesed ex valve/ port config against a typical SBF 1-3-7-2-6-5-4-8. Even the LS sound is affected by the different order 1-8-7-2-6-5-4-3 (which I personally loved.)

Lately though, I now prefer this order for the best sound
zjlimited_53.gif
any vids of that firing order?

For a fun street car with A/C,stock block 408 is all you need.
Dart block 427 is only needed if you plan on making serious steam.
Said 427,will break all the stock parts from the flywheel back.
stock parts as in what specifically? I'm thinking you mean the flywheel forward towards the front of the car:thinking:

You forgot the cheapest stroker...393....don't forget 427, 460, 521...

You've got me researching 460 big block combos...this could be bad for me...and my marriage.

With aluminum heads they weigh about 100lbs more than a stock 302. Some of that can be regained with aftermarket k member, control arms, and front suspension. The brake booster goes bye bye...but I'm sure hydroboost would work.

That thing would put down 500 N/A just with bolt on heads and a cookie cutter cam. The torque would be right at your toes.

My wife would be on my heels with a baseball bat. She's a Ford girl...but I'm sure I have my limits :hide:

You forgot the cheapest stroker...393....don't forget 427, 460, 521...

You've got me researching 460 big block combos...this could be bad for me...and my marriage.

With aluminum heads they weigh about 100lbs more than a stock 302. Some of that can be regained with aftermarket k member, control arms, and front suspension. The brake booster goes bye bye...but I'm sure hydroboost would work.

That thing would put down 500 N/A just with bolt on heads and a cookie cutter cam. The torque would be right at your toes.

My wife would be on my heels with a baseball bat. She's a Ford girl...but I'm sure I have my limits :hide:
lol I'm glad I don't have that problem. Mine knows I work hard for mine and I'm pretty wise when it comes to spending overall so what i build is what I build lol.

Do you think a 427 for a weekend driving streetcar is too much for just that? One poster said something about breaking stuff, stock parts from the flywheel back with a 427.

lol I'm glad I don't have that problem. Mine knows I work hard for mine and I'm pretty wise when it comes to spending overall so what i build is what I build lol.

Do you think a 427 for a weekend driving streetcar is too much for just that? One poster said something about breaking stuff, stock parts from the flywheel back with a 427.

A close friend of mine has a 427 in his cobra. He's had it apart several times. I wouldn't say his set up is " reliable ". It's a strong motor but has had all kinds of problems.

I work hard for mine...and I buy what I want...and she buys sometimes, too.I haven't found that limit yet.

I just aquired another mustang...and if I buy a big block and a c6 trans during this 331 turbo build I'm sure that limit will be reached. Our money is our money... and her money is hers. Lol

A close friend of mine has a 427 in his cobra. He's had it apart several times. I wouldn't say his set up is " reliable ". It's a strong motor but has had all kinds of problems.

I work hard for mine...and I buy what I want...and she buys sometimes, too.I haven't found that limit yet.

I just aquired another mustang...and if I buy a big block and a c6 trans during this 331 turbo build I'm sure that limit will be reached. Our money is our money... and her money is hers. Lol
oh I feel ya man, gotta do what ya gotta do and make her happy too lol.

Is his car more of a radical racer, track car or does he drive on street a good bit? Yeah that's what I want to steer clear of as well. One thing to build a monster and put a lot of time and effort and money into it, but I sure as heck don't want it to be breaking and breaking and messing around with it all the time. I want to build and get in and enjoy and drive and it last yrs and yrss and years