Dash Light Problem

GraffikPleasure

Aug 16, 2012
So I'm trying to get my '88 Stang ready for inspection and I cannot figure this one out.

I have no:
check engine light
turn signal indicators
high beam indicators

I DO have:
ABS
battery

Checked all the fuses as well.

I messed with the dimmer switch, and it will dim the lights that do work, and will turn on the dome light. The actual turn signals, flashers, low/high beams work...

• Sponsors (?)

sounds like one of the wire harness plugs is not connected behind the instrument cluster...or maybe it has previously been removed/reinstalled by someone else?

I would remove the instrument cluster, and have a look see behind there at the electrical connections just to rule that out.

Well, I just finished opening the dash and taking a look at the cluster.... there was no freaking check engine light there. lol

but that wouldn't account for the turn signal indicators, those lights are good.

Cars made before 89 had no check engine light with the possible exception of California cars. The plastic sheet circuit panel does have a tendency to make poor connections. Use an Ohmmeter set on low Ohms to measure the resistance across the copper traces for the bulb sockets. You should see .3-.7 ohm with a good bulb and socket..