Dash Lights Please Help.

Hello! I have searched for the last hour or so but cant find an answer.
I have a 93 GT convertible stock. All of the exterior lights are good, rear view mirror lights and aftermarket radio work. However, the dash lights do not come on with the headlights. Also, I can not see or hear the turn signal from inside the car, but they do appear on the outside. I checked fuse 13 and it was good. What could be wrong? Thanks

• Sponsors (?)

Is the dimmer adjusted to full brightness? Spin it til it clicks and turns the dome light on, then turn back until it just turns the dome light off. That should be full brightness.

For the turn signals, both the hazards and blinkers work outside the vehicle?

This is for an '88, but '93 should be similar. If not i can post the 93 diagram later. I just happened to have the '88 PDF on my phone.

I know you said you checked fuse 13, but did you check for power at fuse 13 to ground? If you don't have it, the dimmer is junk.

9714F0C2-BA22-40F0-8117-DC6C97E9FF5A.jpeg
6CEBBE81-5E4B-4907-AE6B-3E921469D06B.jpeg

Last edited:
  • Useful
Reactions: 1 users
I bought a dimmer switch from LMR. I had already had an appointment at a local speed shop to have sub frame connectors and a high flow water pump installed, so I am having them install the switch in too. I am just too busy this week to mess with car. When I went to drop of the dimmer, they had showed me the head light and fog light connectors were burnt up! No clue how the lights were still working. So I am replacing all of that stuff too. It's my first fox body. So much good info above. Thanks a lot guys

1. Keep the old dimmer switch since it may not be bad. Actually keep anything they take off. It's yours. My understanding is the lmr switches don't have the last bump that turns on interior lights. Someone else can confirm this but i remember it being discussed....i think.
2. Make sure they know the proper method of installing subframe connectors. The weight of the car must be on the chassis (sitting on tires). No exception on this.

I'm sure you knew these two but just in case. Post up results when you get them.

It's very common for the fog light and headlight switches to overheat on GT cars. There's also a wire at the electrical connector for the ignition switch that melts, too. The fix for this is to install a relay in the fog light circuit. It should be triggered by the fog light switch with its own battery positive and ground. You can have them place it at the fog light harness below the drivers headlight. A standard 30 amp relay will work. This is a very common issue.

The way Ford designed it, the draw from headlights and fog lights runs through the headlight switch. With the smallest amount of corrosion the connectors start heating up. The replacement switch pigtail plastic is nowhere near as good as OEM. It's weaker and the locking tabs can break just pushing them on the switch. They've got to be really careful. A little warmth from a heat gun, or a sun backed car, goes a long way.