Digital Tuning Data Logging with EECIV????

7991LXnSHO

wanna catch the space herp
10 Year Member
Sep 1, 2010
Kearney, NE
I am getting spoiled by OBD2 cars that give live readings even with a Wal-Mart code reader. Is there a way to hook up a laptop to read what info the EECIV is getting and sending? And I mean one still available, as the diagnostic port was for something from Ford. ;-)

I suspect the air or water temp sensor is off, but not enough to send a code.
I have the resistance readings from jrichker and can do it that way. I’m wondering if a Quarter horse is what I am looking for.

• Sponsors (?)

A while back i bought a very nice, but very obsolete Rotunda EEC-IV diagnostic unit. I forget what number it was, but it pretty much only did the same thing your basic Innova 3145 that we all have can do.

I was very much interested as well in live data from the ECU, but it wouldn't do it.

Ebayed that sucker for some decent money too

EDIT: I only explored methods that would work with a stock ECU without any sort of add on chip/tuning software

Last edited:
  • Sad
Reactions: 1 user
TwEECer-RT will allow you data log an EEC-IV.

No idea how available they are anymore. :shrug:

I used to have one... Maybe I still do? I can't remember if I shelved it or sold it.

Also... Anderson PMS. It might also be hard to find these days. I [do] still have one of those. :) It may find its way into my 86.

• Useful
I forget about these because I never owned one. The word is that it works/functions better than TwEECer from the user standpoint. I've never played with one.

I found the TwEECer RT to be a bit of a PITA.
That's what I heard too and that's why I went with the QH over the Tweecer.

Here's a screenshot of my dashboard setup:
tunnerprodashboard.PNG

• Useful
Reactions: 1 users
If you're dead set on keeping the EEC-IV, look into the Moates Quarterhorse. I ran one for years and was amazed by how much better it worked then the TwEECer.

Now that I'm all grown up, I swapped over to a stand alone and got away from the quirks and drawbacks of the EEC. MANY moons ago I ran the MS2 system in my car (2006-2007). It worked well but nobody locally would touch it, so I went back to the EEC. After getting my car to the point where the EEC was holding me back, I moved back to MS, but this time to the MS3 system (GoldBox to be exact). Now there are even options in the works which will allow you to plug a Holley Terminator X Max directly into your stock wiring.

Times certainly have changed.

There are still a number of people that can tune a factory EEC. I still run the factory A9P with an SCT chip tuned by my local tuner of 20 years Thunder Autosports. Car runs like a dream, starts on the first time with turning the key, no surging idle or any quirks. Matt Leech Motorsports and Willie @ Dirty Dirty Racing are also two of the best that can remote tune your EEC IV. People IMO discount the capabilities of the stock EEC and are too quick to jump and buy a Terminator stand alone system. Also, there is not one pure plug and play stand alone system other than PRO M that I am aware of, that does not require you to have to do additional tuning on it, especially with a power adder. Just my 2 cents.

• Useful
If you're dead set on keeping the EEC-IV, look into the Moates Quarterhorse. I ran one for years and was amazed by how much better it worked then the TwEECer.

Now that I'm all grown up, I swapped over to a stand alone and got away from the quirks and drawbacks of the EEC. MANY moons ago I ran the MS2 system in my car (2006-2007). It worked well but nobody locally would touch it, so I went back to the EEC. After getting my car to the point where the EEC was holding me back, I moved back to MS, but this time to the MS3 system (GoldBox to be exact). Now there are even options in the works which will allow you to plug a Holley Terminator X Max directly into your stock wiring.

Times certainly have changed.
:thinking:
I do not know what you mean by “all grown up”. It seems you are also having fun playing with cars, and that’s the point.

Anyway, I like that any (experienced) Ford tech should be able to fix my car, (even after one of my kid’s eventually inherits it). And as of yet, the EEC IV is not slowing my car down enough to care about,
I do not have a power adder and even my dream engine does not.
I could get some long meter leads, tape the meter to the windshield and test the individual sensors live that way. It would raise my red neck credentials.:)

So, is the learning curve easier on a Quarterhorse or MS system?

:thinking:
I do not know what you mean by “all grown up”. It seems you are also having fun playing with cars, and that’s the point.

Anyway, I like that any (experienced) Ford tech should be able to fix my car, (even after one of my kid’s eventually inherits it). And as of yet, the EEC IV is not slowing my car down enough to care about,
I do not have a power adder and even my dream engine does not.
I could get some long meter leads, tape the meter to the windshield and test the individual sensors live that way. It would raise my red neck credentials.:)

I researched a lot before getting a Quarterhorse. I looked at MS, Holley, and Pro-M. My requirements were: must maintain Mass Air and must maintain sequential fuel injection.

I ended up going with the QH because it met the above requirements plus it's cheap and easy to install. My engine setup is your basic aluminum headed H/C/I config that ran pretty decent on the factory tune. With the QH you can start the with factory A9L calibration and tweak from there. I ended up with a custom tune from Decipha based on his highly optimized A9L2 strategy (that's free BTW). In the end if I upgrade systems to say a MS I really haven't lost much.

• Useful
My requirements were: must maintain Mass Air and must maintain sequential fuel injection.
Why was retaining the mass air a "requirement"?
Anyway, I like that any (experienced) Ford tech should be able to fix my car, (even after one of my kid’s eventually inherits it).

The problem is that most techs these days are completely and utterly lost when it comes to the EEC. I know this first hand because one came into the shop I worked at the the lead tech wouldn't touch it. I ended up with it because I own one. Kinda :poo:ty because I wasn't the guy making $30/hr!

Moving to an MS system, you are almost "on your own" for most things that you do, and it is that way because there isnt "one way" to do something. If you find someone else that runs an MS3, I can guarantee you that at least 3-4 things will be wired and configured differently in my car, than theirs. With the EEC system and moving to QuarterHorse, you at the very least have the original tune file that you can always default back to, and it gives you a starting point. However, you are still very limited by what the computer can do. As a very brief example, lets look at O2 sensors. The EEC can only use a narrow band sensor. You can LOG a wideband, but the EEC will never correct based on them. With a MS (or Holley and others), you can choose narrow or wide band. You can use TRUE long term fuel adjustment, you can also allow the ECU to adjust fueling FOR YOU. I took my own car, with a poor tune... turned on the VE Analyzer and made 2-3 progressively aggressive pulls up the highway. I applied the changes after looking them over, and adjusted the map by hand in a couple places to smooth it out. Once I was satisfied, I took the liberty of flooring the car and seeing that all the way through my RPM range, I was +/- 1% on my fuel.

For the average car guy, sure the EEC is capable. Just like carbs are still acceptable. However, if you have a desire to dive deep into doing fun things with your car and you aren't afraid of a couple bumps along the way, I strongly suggest a stand alone. There is a reason why modern EFI and ignition systems are now capable of pushing the 302 block well past the fabled "500hp it'll split in half" range.

Just my 2¢

Moving to an MS system, you are almost "on your own" for most things that you do, and it is that way because there isnt "one way" to do something. If you find someone else that runs an MS3, I can guarantee you that at least 3-4 things will be wired and configured differently in my car, than theirs.

This is very true. I found this to be an issue when i built my MS3X box because i had to build it to my vehicle's configuration and found it difficult to look at how others had done theirs because they were running completely different setups than me. If i sold my MS3X box to someone, they likely wouldn't be able to use it and would need to figure out how it's configured first to even see if it will work for them.