Day At The Track

dustang50

Jan 12, 2006
Cleveland, OH
Had my first ever day at the drag strip today... The car was running well, but I couldn't get any traction AT ALL through 1st & 2nd gear. My best 60 ft time was 2.138. :notnice: Talking to some guys there, they said that it wasn't bad for street tires, though.

Best time was a 14.194 @ 97.78.
Best speed was 99.569 (14.356).

Aside from DRs or slicks, does anyone have any tips?

Got :owned: by a Z06 on my first 2 runs. On the brighter side, I took out a WRX STi on my last run... :nice:

• Sponsors (?)

gtstangau said:
good luck hooking up with 4:10's and street tires!
best 60' I ever pulled was a 2.05 w/ 4.10s and Sumitomo all-seasons. It does take some practice and work, but by no means am I experienced at the drag strip, Ive probably made 20-25 runs in my entire life. With some BFG KDWs or pretty much any street tire better than all-season Sumis, that 2.05 couldve* been a 1.9x. Guess I'll never know though bc Im just going with Mickey Thompsons anyway :nice:

Keep practicing man, the 60's will drop and ET will follow.

Can you post FULL slips? I mean 60', 330', 1/8th, 1000' and 1/4 (whatever they gave you out of these) so I can look at some of my slips and compare? Then I can disect your times a little more and see what other advice I could help you with, if any. We have pretty similar mods. And post MPH as well as ET :nice:

The guy that owned my car before I bought it said he ran a 9 flat in the 1/8th mile with horrible traction. He said with traction he would have hit high 8's. Only thing the car has is a K&N intake and straight pipes after the stock H. Either he is one hell of a driver, or the car is making good power. I really need to learn how to drive it to its full potential. Its been lowered, so I know thats not helping launches... it really doesnt have any traction in first gear when ya romp it, 2nd isnt so bad because Im honestly not that great of a driver with the car yet.

But either way, thats a high 13 or low 14 with basically no mods. You should be well into the 13's with everything you have and traction.

Here's the timeslip - I'm on the right (#71)...

BTW - what does M.O.V. stand for?

Attachments

• timeslip1.jpg
    timeslip1.jpg
    18.2 KB · Views: 106
Heres my best slip to date. This was with the following mods:
4.10s
O/R X and SLP Loudmouth IIs
Accufab 75mm TB/Plenum
MGW short throw
K&N w/ passenger side headlight removed (do this, it helps and only takes a minute)
SCT Safe Tune (unkown timing, etc because my tuners a turd and didnt send anything telling me what parameters were set to w/each tune)
245/45/17 Sumitomo HTR+ all-seasons
Removed front sway bar
1 110 lb passenger

Track prep was so-so at best, but the air was cool so that helped. I only spun the tires quickly to clean them up before staging. Launched @ 2500 rpms, feathered the clutch, took it to about 4500-5000 rpms in 1st before nailing 2nd, then let her rip, shifting between 5800-6000 rpms. I'm # 9018 on the right. Heres a vid of that run: http://media.putfile.com/113504

3rdTimeatTrack.jpg

Im gonna go through some older slips and find some with similar times as yours and do a little comparison. Im probably just gonna tell you to keep practicing, because I ran terrible times my first few times at the track with most of these mods, 4.10s included.

Attachments

• 3rdTimeatTrack.jpg
    3rdTimeatTrack.jpg
    33.5 KB · Views: 71
UDTBadkarma said:
Our cars stock are supposed to be doin 14.0-14.1 (professionally driven) flat. So there is room for improvement. I think that you can be pullin a 13.7, 13.8 with some good driving.

Ive seen our cars pull 13.70s stock professionally driven....to bad we arent all Evan Smith though:(
I have trouble hooking in 2nd for some reason at the track even with stock gears....on the street I slam 2nd and it just chirps and keeps going but at the track im friggin sideways:mad:

I think an MGW, Tri-Ax or Pro 5.0 shifter would serve you well. I was looking at some old slips of mine andcomared the to the one you postd. You were quicker through the first 330' by .15, and by the 1/8th we would be even, and by 1000' Im .2 ahead of you.

Now, not knowing exact power output of each car doesnt help, but looking at that trend makes me think quicker shifts has something to do with it considering our mods are similar.

I'd make an MGW your next mod and just keep practicing :nice:

MOV (Margin of Victory) is the actual amount you beat him by, you combine the difference in your reaction time and your quarter mile times. So basically you beat him by .8XX seconds. You really kicked the crap out of him :rlaugh:.

GT02MG said:
Ive seen our cars pull 13.70s stock professionally driven....to bad we arent all Evan Smith though:(
I have trouble hooking in 2nd for some reason at the track even with stock gears....on the street I slam 2nd and it just chirps and keeps going but at the track im friggin sideways:mad:

I went 13.903 stock LOL then went 13.89 with 4.10's, and tune

dustang50 said:
Guess I just need to learn how to drive...
we all do man, the vast majority of this board is far from being considered expert drivers. Just keep practicing. After a few runs you'll get a slip thats .2 or .3 better than your previous best and you'll be thinking "How the hell did I do that?" My best day at the track I made about 8 runs, each getting progressively better. The difference in the first and last slip was .43! ( actually it was .6, but that was a missed 3rd gear :nonono: )

I'm still waiting for my wife to get the film developed from the track, but I'll post it when it's in. I took my wife's aunt, who has Downs Syndrome, on a run & I think the wife got a few pics of it. Pretty funny stuff - she loved it!