Dealer denying warranty coverage

svttech76 said:
that was really nice of him to aplogize for what the management did..

BTW at my dealer we tell the customer up front if the repair is not covered under warrenty they are responsible for the diag fees... they should have told you that.
Yup! I tell every customer regardless if it has 5 miles or 500,000 there is a diag fee and that is the customers authorization to diag the problem. If it isnt covered by warranty, then they are responsible for the diag and or repair. If the warranty claim covers it, then they pay nothing or their ext warranty deductable.

See the problem is that customers state " my car is such and such a year and have such and such miles, is it still under warranty?" They don't ask the obvious or the simple question.

The Service dept says yes. That is the problem right there. The customer holds the service dept to that yes regardless if they have no oil in the engine and the engine is locked up, they simply say " YOU TOLD ME IT WAS UNDER WARRANTY"

We have to be smarter than the customer, because customer try and **** us over just as much as the dealership tries to **** you over on warranty claims. That is why I am direct with them. I ask to the point questions. Why didnt such and such shop fix it if they diagnosed it? Why are you calling me to diagnose this and not bringing the vehicle in? What makes you think you need a tune up?

When they ask if their car is under warranty and I pull it up in the system and it is, I tell them "yes the warranty is still in effect on that vehicle as long as the part/system that has failed has been maintained and the part/system didn't fail due to neglect, unauthorized modification, or abuse".

Just like any repair work they call in for. How much are front brakes. I say it's such and such a price including turning of rotors. That way I am covered. Sometimes they say "Oh I looked at the rotors and they are fine". Then I ask why are they calling me if they know so much about rotors and why arent they installing pads?

• Sponsors (?)

That's really strange.. I don't think I've ever had a dealer tell me before hand that if it's not covered under warranty then you have to pay the diag fee. I agree that they should have.. I wonder how often this happens then?

I'm not calling anyone a liar :p.. I've just never had that experience..

Lol, blackfang.. I bet you get some crazy ones..

Thanks!!
Riley

I always get people who try and screw us. Customers try and screw dealers just as much as they screw the customer.

I get people who ask for services, then sign the repair order with the total price and then verbally deny asking for it after the fact when they signed the damn thing.

They try and give me coupons from firestone for timing belts or wheel and deal on internal engine repairs. Sir, I didnt build it, I didn't break it, this is the price.