Dedicated Drag wheels/tires

I'd like to build a dedicated set of wheels/tires for drag racing.

My car is lowered 1.5" all around and so far I have the stock brakes but would like to upgrade them. I also still have the stock 3.31 gears and plan to go to 3.73's.

Does anyone have any suggestions for combos that hook really well and that would fit over my stock calipers? What are people using with upgraded brakes?

I'm a rookie when it comes to drag racing.

With the s/c, traction is definately a problem.

• Sponsors (?)

if i was gunna go with a set of drag wheels. i'd go with a set of like 15s.

i don't buy into the 20" drag tires. i feel like sidewall plays a huge part in the tire for traction.

go with a set of 3.5 inch wide welds up front with a spacer, and just grind the rear caliper a little bit and run a 8 inch wide weld in the back. go with like ET streets, or hoosier or similar drag tires, then front runners up front.

if i was gunna go with a set of drag wheels. i'd go with a set of like 15s.

i don't buy into the 20" drag tires. i feel like sidewall plays a huge part in the tire for traction.

go with a set of 3.5 inch wide welds up front with a spacer, and just grind the rear caliper a little bit and run a 8 inch wide weld in the back. go with like ET streets, or hoosier or similar drag tires, then front runners up front.

With 15's you have to relocate the sway bar don't you? Do you know makes a kit for that?

The cheapest way is a set of stock 17's with MT ET Streets 275/40-17. Bogart makes some custom 15s for our cars. I believe Holeshot does too. They'll run you over $1k just for all 4 wheels. Greg Weld was working on some 15's for our cars when he passed. As far as I know, they're still being worked on, but no ETA. With any 15", you'll need to relocate the rear sway bar.

i dunno, i've seen a couple people post i think its at the mustang source, could be wrong, but about having just to grind a little off the rear caliper, nothing about relocating the swaybar.
Most of the people running 15's assume that people already know that it's required and don't mention it. But as far as I know, it is required for every 15" wheel for our cars.

i dunno, i've seen a couple people post i think its at the mustang source, could be wrong, but about having just to grind a little off the rear caliper, nothing about relocating the swaybar.

Good, Correct Tech answers and the Mustang Source do not go together.

It is a fact that you need to relocate the rear sway bar to run 15" rims on a S197.

I run MT 26x11.5x17 ET Streets on 17x9 Bullitt replica rims. If your track is not a well prepped one, I would recommend the tires I use. If it is well prepped, get the MT 275/40R17 ET Street Radial. Both of those tires will fit 17x8 rims as well.

Another option that works is to run 16" Mustang V6 rims on the rear. I used to run 255/50R16 MT ET Street Radials on those rims. My local track was not a well prepped one and I had a hard time hooking those tires.

MT now has a ET Street tire( Slick ) that is the same size as those.

I'm cheap. So, I bought a set of four 17x8 Charcoal Bullitts from an 06 Mustang with factory Pirelli's for $250. Replaced that rear rubber with 275/40/17 BFG Drag Radials. I use this set of wheels/tires for drag days, and use my factory 18" fanblades for street use. The 17's work great and traction is spot on with 18 psi in the drag radials even with a supercharger lurking below the hood....

RaceReady004.jpg

RaceReady002.jpg

RaceReady014.jpg

Attachments

• RaceReady004.jpg
    RaceReady004.jpg
    98.3 KB · Views: 382
  • RaceReady002.jpg
    RaceReady002.jpg
    103.7 KB · Views: 129
  • RaceReady014.jpg
    RaceReady014.jpg
    95.7 KB · Views: 433
The cheapest way is a set of stock 17's with MT ET Streets 275/40-17. Bogart makes some custom 15s for our cars. I believe Holeshot does too. They'll run you over $1k just for all 4 wheels. Greg Weld was working on some 15's for our cars when he passed. As far as I know, they're still being worked on, but no ETA. With any 15", you'll need to relocate the rear sway bar.
Good news !

I was having a hard time getting through to Greg Weld so I called Summit last week and ask them to call about a new fitmet on the Racelite series that would fit our 05 + Mustangs. I want some 15 x 3.5 front runners. Well they called me back and said Greg Weld will be coming out with the NEW wheels next month. So I got on the list and placed a order for the front runners. They were approx. $ 145.00 ea.