Defroster Problem

jeffnoel

Founding Member
Aug 31, 2002
Clovis, CA
I drove my car in the rain the other night and the defrosters could not keep the windshield clear. The fan was blowing all kinds of hot air but before I got a block from my house the windows were so fogged up I had to pull over. FYI my car sat for 15 years and still has alot of scum on the windows, it also has A/C but no belt on the compressor. Any help would be appreciated.

• Sponsors (?)

Your heater core is the likely suspect. When it leaks, anti-freeze is picked up by the hot air and blown onto your windshield. If your windshield has a greasy film on the inside, that's the problem. Good luck.

May still be your heater core. Try bypassing it and see if it changes. Your A/C would help dehumify the air but I would lean more towards the heater core. 15yrs is plenty of time for it to rust out from the inside.

Thats what I was going to say was the heater core. I have had the same problem in the past but with other vehicals. If hot air is blowing on the windshield but its got a foggy look to it and it just gets worse its the heater core. I mean come on its not a space ship what can it be other than that. On a car you only have so many parts and each part has its known side affect when faulty. You don't have any other options as far as I'm conserned. I'm suprised you can't smell anti-freese or notice any haze in the car.

jeffnoel said:
50/50 mix

Since your running a 50/50 mix, have no film on the inside of the windshield (this can take a while to become noticable, especially if the windshield is scummy), and you haven't mentioned a sickly sweet smell, I would say you should check the drains in the cowel and the the AC box.

danimaltheanima said:
..... I mean come on its not a space ship what can it be other than that. .....

No, it's not rocket science but but when you go to change the heater core in a AC equipped II you'll swear you need an Aerospace Mechanic.

:D