Delete ECU or not??

diablostang

Sep 21, 2004
Raleigh, NC
Guys,

I'm goin Carbed on my 94, and I was planning to delete the ECU. Any reason not to? Will anything stop functioning, like ABS? Anything else?

I'm takin my time.. Will be deleting wiring, Heater core, A/C lines etc, then repainting the bay. Some stuff on this car had been HACKED before :rolleyes: Stinky "anti-theft" system I wish I could just junk, but it's an ignition cutoff, and wiring is NOT my thing, lol.

img8694medium9ry.jpg

img8693medium0tm.jpg

Opinions/suggestions ? :)

Attachments

• img8694medium9ry.jpg
    img8694medium9ry.jpg
    7 KB · Views: 58
  • img8693medium0tm.jpg
    img8693medium0tm.jpg
    7 KB · Views: 66
  • Sponsors (?)

I've done this conversion. I left the ECU, and just disconnected the harnesses at the passenger side firewall. I didn't figure there was much reason to take it out. If you (or the guy buying it) ever decided to go back to EFI, it would be much easier.
Glad to help you with any Q's you might have about going carb'd.
Pics of my motor in the sig link.

Good luck!

94GT347 said:
I've done this conversion. I left the ECU, and just disconnected the harnesses at the passenger side firewall. I didn't figure there was much reason to take it out. If you (or the guy buying it) ever decided to go back to EFI, it would be much easier.
Glad to help you with any Q's you might have about going carb'd.
Pics of my motor in the sig link.

Good luck!

Wow, nice car!! Amazing how similar your setup is to mine. I've got a 347, twisted wedge heads, Demon carb & a Tremec 3550. :nice: Welcome to Stangnet too, glad to have you around.

What type of vibration did your 306 have when you pulled it? My 302 had a nasty vibration that shook the whole car when you got up to 3-4K rpms, mainly under hard acceleration.. Definitely not an engine balancing issue (as I had previously thought)

I guess I'll just hide the ECU hookup, and leave it in. That makes good sense.

Thanks! :nice:

diablostang said:
Wow, nice car!! Amazing how similar your setup is to mine. I've got a 347, twisted wedge heads, Demon carb & a Tremec 3550. :nice: Welcome to Stangnet too, glad to have you around.

What type of vibration did your 306 have when you pulled it? My 302 had a nasty vibration that shook the whole car when you got up to 3-4K rpms, mainly under hard acceleration.. Definitely not an engine balancing issue (as I had previously thought)

I guess I'll just hide the ECU hookup, and leave it in. That makes good sense.

Thanks! :nice:
I had thought about pulling it to sell it on Ebay, but wasn't exactly sure if it would effect some of the other functions I did need. I tucked everything inside the fender corner where you can't see it.

The 306 had spun the rear main. It had "wallowed" the block saddle out, and the back of the crank was just walking around. Pulled the T-5 out 3 times trying to figure what was up. I don't remember exactly how I figured out what it was.

We're going to a Turbo blow-through setup. That's something I've never done so should be interesting.

Good luck with your's. :nice: