Desperately need electrical help!

Hi,
Sorry for the pause, lots going on. So, from what I’m interpreting, your car is firing up each time ok now after replacing the relay(s), are you thinking a relay is going to fail on you again?
No more security light flashing continually?
Could check inside the SJB to see if moisture did enter, and also check to see if the guy that installed the stereo hacked the installation of multiple ground wires or perhaps the power wire connections, but am interpreting this correctly, you haven’t had a failure yet since you went through and reset your clutch safety switch, replaced the relay(s)?
Just still a little concerned about the possibilities leaving you stranded somewhere?
-John

• Sponsors (?)

Hi,
Sorry for the pause, lots going on. So, from what I’m interpreting, your car is firing up each time ok now after replacing the relay(s), are you thinking a relay is going to fail on you again?
No more security light flashing continually?
Could check inside the SJB to see if moisture did enter, and also check to see if the guy that installed the stereo hacked the installation of multiple ground wires or perhaps the power wire connections, but am interpreting this correctly, you haven’t had a failure yet since you went through and reset your clutch safety switch, replaced the relay(s)?
Just still a little concerned about the possibilities leaving you stranded somewhere?
-John
Hello, Thank you for the response and no problem. Glad you have a lot going on.

Car seems to start with no issues. I was able to get the ac blower working at same time. I think there could be an issue in the ground system. When working on the blower motor relay i noticed that while i had power to pin 30 in relay in sjb and switching to check ground that it did not have ground. Then i tried jumping the 30 and 87 pins in sjb for blower relay and was some small sparks then after few tries it started to work. Tried cleaning the pin location in 87 (ground side) and replaced relay and is working OK for last few days. Have not noticed any moisture but could be some issue there. Any thoughts on cleaning out the sjb or cleaning the power connection cable to the box? Or should i check now for some short in the wiring as like you said maybe whomever installed stereo could have damaged something? But so far today after couple of trips to town 20 min drive each way all seems to work OK?

Hello, Thank you for the response and no problem. Glad you have a lot going on.

Car seems to start with no issues. I was able to get the ac blower working at same time. I think there could be an issue in the ground system. When working on the blower motor relay i noticed that while i had power to pin 30 in relay in sjb and switching to check ground that it did not have ground. Then i tried jumping the 30 and 87 pins in sjb for blower relay and was some small sparks then after few tries it started to work. Tried cleaning the pin location in 87 (ground side) and replaced relay and is working OK for last few days. Have not noticed any moisture but could be some issue there. Any thoughts on cleaning out the sjb or cleaning the power connection cable to the box? Or should i check now for some short in the wiring as like you said maybe whomever installed stereo could have damaged something? But so far today after couple of trips to town 20 min drive each way all seems to work OK?
Hi,
Well, I’m happy to hear your gained ground (no pun intended) with this Those specific year Ponycars had some issues with water infiltration into the SJB, and other areas. Doesn’t need to be wet for a little moisture to cause these issues.
if there isn’t any evidence of that, may just be how I’m reading it, but it seems like you should mildly backtrack through the wiring just to be 100% there isn’t anything like a connector that was crimped together and may not be making a solid connection every time. Intermittent problems are the most difficult to locate.
Did the guy who installed the stereo use the correct connectors from Ford to do the install, or is it rather...shoddy workmanship?
Should look like it was installed by the factory with connectors that plug in professionally, that how his wiring looks?
Backtracking through wiring is a very slow moving, tedious process as I’m sure you’ve already found to be true. If you have any doubts in your mind about what you’ve got there as reliable, that may be..
Flip through the diagrams in your shop manual for the Car (Have one now- correct? Best investment you’ll ever make, 20-25$ at every local auto chain store).
Follow the wires to the relay, If what you did makes sense, why it works now, didn’t before, cleaning that #87 contact may have done the trick. Look for it’s grounding point, it’ll be there. Follow it, Is it solid?
As you’ll note, the MAIN ground wires from the Battery branch out to the Computer chassis, the engine block, and from the engine block to the steel Firewall, usually via a strap to the back of the engine block.
Then, there’s ground wires that are bolted to the Chassis in different areas, especially under the dash. Any one or a bad connection can cause a headache.Grounds are the most often issues in any car with a Computer.
Question....
The relays that failed you in the past... was it due to the Coils not functioning, or were the relays contacts- or the females the relays plug into dirty, or are you uncertain?
You cleaned out the female socket #87 where the relay plugs into- correct? If you have a relay that didn’t work before, try it in the socket now. Does it work? If yes, there may just be a little corrosion in the socket that prevented it from making contact.that you cleaned out.
Are you comfortable with basic electricals, a little rusty.. either way- it’s ok.Will make it easy(Ier) for you, if the latter.Car wiring’s a PITA.lol
If connections point to the issue, and relay sockets and the SJB are both common, sounding more like some contacts are possibly grounds are the case, I’ll detail how I clean it up-k?
In the meantime, I’d put it through the torture test, cycle things on and off, start it and shut down to see how that goes, i don’t expect that it’ll act much different on the road- driving, than in your driveway.
Something happens, best off happening there- right?
Ok, talk soon!
Best!
John

Hi,
Well, I’m happy to hear your gained ground (no pun intended) with this Those specific year Ponycars had some issues with water infiltration into the SJB, and other areas. Doesn’t need to be wet for a little moisture to cause these issues.
if there isn’t any evidence of that, may just be how I’m reading it, but it seems like you should mildly backtrack through the wiring just to be 100% there isn’t anything like a connector that was crimped together and may not be making a solid connection every time. Intermittent problems are the most difficult to locate.
Did the guy who installed the stereo use the correct connectors from Ford to do the install, or is it rather...shoddy workmanship?
Should look like it was installed by the factory with connectors that plug in professionally, that how his wiring looks?
Backtracking through wiring is a very slow moving, tedious process as I’m sure you’ve already found to be true. If you have any doubts in your mind about what you’ve got there as reliable, that may be..
Flip through the diagrams in your shop manual for the Car (Have one now- correct? Best investment you’ll ever make, 20-25$ at every local auto chain store).
Follow the wires to the relay, If what you did makes sense, why it works now, didn’t before, cleaning that #87 contact may have done the trick. Look for it’s grounding point, it’ll be there. Follow it, Is it solid?
As you’ll note, the MAIN ground wires from the Battery branch out to the Computer chassis, the engine block, and from the engine block to the steel Firewall, usually via a strap to the back of the engine block.
Then, there’s ground wires that are bolted to the Chassis in different areas, especially under the dash. Any one or a bad connection can cause a headache.Grounds are the most often issues in any car with a Computer.
Question....
The relays that failed you in the past... was it due to the Coils not functioning, or were the relays contacts- or the females the relays plug into dirty, or are you uncertain?
You cleaned out the female socket #87 where the relay plugs into- correct? If you have a relay that didn’t work before, try it in the socket now. Does it work? If yes, there may just be a little corrosion in the socket that prevented it from making contact.that you cleaned out.
Are you comfortable with basic electricals, a little rusty.. either way- it’s ok.Will make it easy(Ier) for you, if the latter.Car wiring’s a PITA.lol
If connections point to the issue, and relay sockets and the SJB are both common, sounding more like some contacts are possibly grounds are the case, I’ll detail how I clean it up-k?
In the meantime, I’d put it through the torture test, cycle things on and off, start it and shut down to see how that goes, i don’t expect that it’ll act much different on the road- driving, than in your driveway.
Something happens, best off happening there- right?
Ok, talk soon!
Best!
John
John, Your information and support has been extremely helpful. Greatly appreciated. regarding the stereo install it looks OK. I found invoices and see that he had it installed at a Best Buy. I pulled it out of dash and wiring looks good. Will check all the ground connections and clean them. One relay did test bad but coil still pulled in the switch when tested with battery. I tried one of the relays which i also new was working and it did not work in that socket for starter. So i am sure it is the female socket that has been causing the issue. I have started off on many times and driving etc. still working and starts on first turn of key. Also i am sure the relay for the ac blower motor i thought was bad is Ok as it worked in another slot. Again i think the putting in and taking out of these two relays which by the way are sitting side by side in the sjb may have helped clean the sockets to get better connections. AC is working fine now and blower controls all are working hi low heat /ac etc. I believe your idea that there could have been moisture in the sjb at some point is spot on. I will follow your other suggestions as well. Thanks again. Have a great Labor Day weekend! Cheers

Reactions: 1 user
John, Your information and support has been extremely helpful. Greatly appreciated. regarding the stereo install it looks OK. I found invoices and see that he had it installed at a Best Buy. I pulled it out of dash and wiring looks good. Will check all the ground connections and clean them. One relay did test bad but coil still pulled in the switch when tested with battery. I tried one of the relays which i also new was working and it did not work in that socket for starter. So i am sure it is the female socket that has been causing the issue. I have started off on many times and driving etc. still working and starts on first turn of key. Also i am sure the relay for the ac blower motor i thought was bad is Ok as it worked in another slot. Again i think the putting in and taking out of these two relays which by the way are sitting side by side in the sjb may have helped clean the sockets to get better connections. AC is working fine now and blower controls all are working hi low heat /ac etc. I believe your idea that there could have been moisture in the sjb at some point is spot on. I will follow your other suggestions as well. Thanks again. Have a great Labor Day weekend! Cheers
Hi,
Enjoy you’re weekend as well, and your Pony, too! Job well done!
Best!
John