Destroyed Power Steering Pulley

So I recently got a new Power Steering pump and I needed to take off the pulley to get to it. I went to Harbor Freight and bought a Gear/Pully Puller. to get it off.
I screwed it down and had to apply so much force to get the pulley off that it completely destroyed the pulley. What idiotic mistake did I make and where can I get a new power steering pulling (in a decent amount of time cause its the only car I have to drive).

• Sponsors (?)

Barn has linked to the proper tool for this job. If you use any tool that touches the pulley in any way other than the machined hub, you will destroy it, guaranteed. I have removed scores of these, even ones from abandoned parts cars, and they always come off intact, because there is no stress to the pulley itself.

The power steering pulley is screwed on. Not pressed. Left handed threads.

Wanna bet?

04669lg.jpg

Well thanks all for the input, I went to autozone to rent the part and it came off (although it still put up a fight) and it was definitely pressed on, not threaded. Now I just have to drive out to NPD's warehouse and buy myself a new crome pulley! I have a bad feeling that I am going to spend way more than I want to though since they have a whole warehouse full of everything I need....

Well thanks all for the input, I went to autozone to rent the part and it came off (although it still put up a fight) and it was definitely pressed on, not threaded. Now I just have to drive out to NPD's warehouse and buy myself a new crome pulley! I have a bad feeling that I am going to spend way more than I want to though since they have a whole warehouse full of everything I need....

Unless it's a new item, they don't have any 70-73 PS pulleys. A used one would be quite reasonable, though.

Last one I tried to remove was screwed on. It had an allen socket on the shaft to hold backup.

All the Ford power steering pulleys I have seen were pressed on, and they all had the hex-shaped hole in the pulley shaft. A convenience for machining or removing/installing some of the internal parts when rebuilding?

I have never seen a threaded-on Ford power steering pulley.