DeVILBISS Gravity Feed HVLP Spray Gun

wickedmach1

Apr 8, 2003
Austin, TX
I am thinking about priming and painting my '70 Mach myself. Does anyone have opinions about the DeVILBISS HVLP spray guns? I am looking at buying the FLG-643 gravity feed HVLP gun for $149.99 from Eastwood. They say the gun has a 1-liter aluminum cup with 1.5 and 1.8mm fluid tips and will spray lacquer, enamel, and urethane coatings. I will prime my car with an epoxy and then use either enamel or most likely urethane paint. Will this gun be okay for my intentions? I am not looking for a 8K paint job, just one that will look nice. I have an old, old, old DeVILBISS conventional spray gun that I used years ago. I want to upgrade to the HVLP and would appreciate your help. Thanks.

• Sponsors (?)

wickedmach1 said:
I am thinking about priming and painting my '70 Mach myself. Does anyone have opinions about the DeVILBISS HVLP spray guns? I am looking at buying the FLG-643 gravity feed HVLP gun for $149.99 from Eastwood. They say the gun has a 1-liter aluminum cup with 1.5 and 1.8mm fluid tips and will spray lacquer, enamel, and urethane coatings. I will prime my car with an epoxy and then use either enamel or most likely urethane paint. Will this gun be okay for my intentions? I am not looking for a 8K paint job, just one that will look nice. I have an old, old, old DeVILBISS conventional spray gun that I used years ago. I want to upgrade to the HVLP and would appreciate your help. Thanks.

I think it should work great. I just bought the Devilbis Finishline 3, but haven't used it yet. I also have a cheapo from harbor freight and it works good, so the Devilbis should be a lot better. I also bought a 2 piece gun holder that can be bolted to the bench and it has a loop on top to hold the filter. I bought the cheapo HVLP mainly for primer.

Most people use two guns, one for primer and one for finish coats. One reason is that you can never really ever get the gun clean no matter how hard you try. But the bigger reason is most painters dont really take the time to clean primer guns, just a simple wash out with some thinner and they wrap them in saran wrap or big ziplock and keep the in a fridge or some place cool. Just saves them time. Thats what I have seen first hand many times. There might be other reason im unaware of though. I also got a harbor frieght gravity feed and have been using it hard for over two years and never any problems. 90% of the time, its not the gun doing a bad job but the guy on the trigger doing a bad job.

TurboDoctor said:
Most people use two guns, one for primer and one for finish coats. One reason is that you can never really ever get the gun glun no matter how hard you try. But the bigger reason is most painters dont really take the time to clean primer guns, just a simple wash out with some thinner and they wrao them in saran wrap or big ziplock and keep the in a fridge or some place cool. Just saves them time. Thats what I have seen first hand many times. There might be other reason im unaware of though. I also got a harbor frieght gravity feed and have been using it hard for over two years and never any problems. 90% of the time, its not the gun doing a bad job but the guy on the trigger doing a bad job.

Took the words right outta my mouth TurboDoctor. I did the same thing with the regular spray guns. I got a cheapo for primer and a good one for finish coat.

i got an hvlp craftsman gravity fed (which is made by devilbliss) it was 149 too and i hate it i still ust my cheap cambul hausefield gun to do finish work ant the gravity fed to do primer but mayby urs is better of diff someway who knows good luck:)

Wicked, The gun will work good for you as I done my 65 stang with it. The paint came out pretty good but I had to wet sand and buff a little, probably because im not a paint expert. You can paint with a cheap gun as long as your good at wet sanding and buffing. Gravity type HVLP guns are the best.
I bought a better gun latter because I am still not that good at painting and thought that would help. Watch out for the PLASTIC inner tips as they indicate a gun is on the cheap side. Adjust your air pressure at the gun and leave your compressor air pressure at max. I found a GREAT web site on painting at ,
www.autobodystore.com Len Stuart runs the site and has his own Body shop and store. He and lots of PRO's answer the posts daily.
just go to there message forum. They helped from body work to a full paint job on my stang.

Is it best to use a two stage filtering system with a regulator at the compressor? Should I also use a final filter at the gun? I have heard all different ways. Is it best to regulate the pressure at the gun and just the filters at the compressor? I'm confused. Please help.

NO NO NO.... You want to run your compressor at full pressure!
Lets say it cuts out at 120psi and you have a regulator and filters at the compressor. Turn the regulator at compressor to 120psi. WHY YOU SAY? Well remember that you have a HVLP Gravity feed gun (HIgh Volume Low Pressure) You need High Volume at a low pressure and you wont get High Volume with only 30 psi going through the hose. You have to run Full 120 psi through the hose, then at the gun regulator set the pressure for the specs it calls for, Most HVLP guns run only about 10 psi. Then your gun will spray the correct pattern with little overspray and thats how a HVLP gun works.
ALSO install a filter at the gun, these are small inline filters. I use the paper filled filters because the last longer.
Never run a oil injector on you compressor for painting, as this will ruin any and all paint jobs. If you already have one take it out and install a new hose, then do you painting.