diablo predator

usafnotch

Jul 19, 2005
MONTANA
Just picked up an unlocked diablo predator tuner for $150 bucks. Installed the performance tune which is on there already. My question is what you you recommend to do. My current upgrades are flowmaster exhaust, modded midpipe, and BBK CAI. its an automatic 2000 GT. Also what does the modify stock tune really do?

• Sponsors (?)

You can add some spark advance if you want. Just listen to make sure the car does not ping/knock at wide open throttle (best to start in 3rd gear or so at around 15-1600 RPMs, floor it, and listen for spark knock, like a rattling noise).

That will help a little bit. You can also adjust fuel settings, but you should not remove fuel if you aren't monitering the air/fuel ratio. I added fuel to mine because it was running lean with the supplied tune.

You can't do much just modifying the stock tune.

The supplied performance tune works good as it is. You might want to turn torque modulation off. Other than that I wouldn't recommend changing timing or fuel settings. It's pretty hard to hear spark knock, at full throttle with aftermarket exhaust. Without a wideband o2 sensor you can't monitor full throttle fuel mixture either.

The supplied performance tune works good as it is. You might want to turn torque modulation off. Other than that I wouldn't recommend changing timing or fuel settings. It's pretty hard to hear spark knock, at full throttle with aftermarket exhaust. Without a wideband o2 sensor you can't monitor full throttle fuel mixture either.

Agreed - don't try to fix something that is not broken and that it sounds as if you don't have the resources nor the expertise to modify.
You CAN however modify the firmness of the shifts.
Best of Luck!

I just bought a used one a few weeks ago myself. All I've done so far is turn off the speed limiter and traction control. When I get my gears installed I'll change that, otherwise I'm not touching anything else until I can get a dyno tune.

I just bought a used one a few weeks ago myself. All I've done so far is turn off the speed limiter and traction control. When I get my gears installed I'll change that, otherwise I'm not touching anything else until I can get a dyno tune.

Smart man, but I'd REALLY recommend 4.10s over 3.73s. I had both and it's a world of difference. 3.73s were barely noticable. 4.10s are really what you want/need/desire.

Best of Luck!

Smart man, but I'd REALLY recommend 4.10s over 3.73s. I had both and it's a world of difference. 3.73s were barely noticable. 4.10s are really what you want/need/desire.

Best of Luck!

The 4.10's would be nice but I already have a set of FRPP 3.73's sitting at home. All I have to do is get them put in. I can't believe 3.73's are barely noticeable over the stock 3.27's.

The 4.10's would be nice but I already have a set of FRPP 3.73's sitting at home. All I have to do is get them put in. I can't believe 3.73's are barely noticeable over the stock 3.27's.

You'll find out soon enough...

do the math and you'll see that, theoretically, 4.10s are TWICE the gear that 3.73s are - it's the difference between, "Oh, that's nice" and "Wow - what a change".

Hi,

Can't say a totally agree with the late comment as I have 4.10's and know someone the has 3.73 and they are a bit improvement over stock 3.27's as are the 4.10's.
It really depends on your application 3.73's are better for freeway driving then 4.10 and are more fuel efficient but its up to you either way you'll see a gain.

good luck

You can add some spark advance if you want. Just listen to make sure the car does not ping/knock at wide open throttle (best to start in 3rd gear or so at around 15-1600 RPMs, floor it, and listen for spark knock, like a rattling noise).

That will help a little bit. You can also adjust fuel settings, but you should not remove fuel if you aren't monitering the air/fuel ratio. I added fuel to mine because it was running lean with the supplied tune.

You can't do much just modifying the stock tune.

+1........I added spark advance this week but got some spark knock at WOT so I'm back to the predator settings. Some cars like the advanced spark, mine didn't.

Hi,

Can't say a totally agree with the late comment as I have 4.10's and know someone the has 3.73 and they are a bit improvement over stock 3.27's as are the 4.10's.
It really depends on your application 3.73's are better for freeway driving then 4.10 and are more fuel efficient but its up to you either way you'll see a gain.

good luck

And the main reason I went 3.73's is because I do allot of highway driving. I don't race either so its better to get the better gear for the highway than for the track.