Diagnose Rattling Sound

400horses

Jan 11, 2018
Hello,

I was replacing my light bulbs and just wanted to turn my car on to let it warm up before I left (when I finished), and I heard this rattling noise.

I tried to get it with my phone. I never heard this from inside the car in part due to the exhaust sound level.

I have no exerience diagnosing sounds, so I will appreciate any insight I can get.

YouTube:

View: https://youtu.be/FXRKddM_XEo

• Sponsors (?)

400horses,

PCV valve? Inexpensive and easy to replace. But it may not be the PCV because it seems to be on both sides of the engine (rearward more than near the front). A noisy injector? Does the rattle change with engine speed? If it is a noisy injector, you can disconnect the electric connector and check for noise. If it is quieter then it's injector noise. If it isn't quieter then it has to be something internal.

You can look on YouTube for "Mustang BBQ Tick" because this was a fairly common problem in 2012 and earlier engines. Nobody knows what the BBQ tick was caused by but Ford replaced some engines, some owners changed oil viscosity or brand or oil filters, and sometimes the tick went away (until the next oil change?). Anyway, see if the YouTube vidoes sound similar to the ticking under the hood of your car.

HTH,

Chris