Did I Fry Something?

GitDat

Founding Member
Mar 24, 2002
Indy
I normally plug my little air compressor into the outlet on the console between the 2 front seats. Well it wasn't working so I tried plugging it into the cigarette lighter port by the shifter and a saw a spark and the RPM's dropped for a second. Well I took the car out for a drive and now the speedomoter doesn't work and the odometer mileage isn't incrementing anymore. I can switch to the trip meter and it's froze also. Also if the car is moving and I put it in neutral and I press on the brakes the RPM's shoot down to 0 and the car dies.

What exactly did I fry? :shrug: And how expensive of a fix is it going to be.. lol.

• Sponsors (?)

You blew a fuse. A speedcal is most likely using the ciggy lighter to recieve 12V power. When you plugged in the air compressor, it fried the fuse. Check the ciggy lighter fuse and report back...

I had this same prob BTW

Yeah should just be a fuse on the box inside the car. Happened when I was replacing a bulb in my interior light, pulled the old bulb and put the new one in and heard a pop...radio, speedo, and tach all stopped working (and the lights of course too)

Turned out to be Fuse #1. Thanks guys. So apparently if you want to make a rather long journey in the 'Stang and don't want to rack up the mileage.. yank fuse #1
angel.gif

I am glad it was just a fuse working like it was designed. The lighter socket center tab came out and dead shorted the socket in a different car. It took out three fuses in the fuse block, one in the radio power wire, and the aftermarket tach now has periodic tremors.