did i make a wrong decision? FUEL PUMP BUY

dastang2

Dec 11, 2003
tx
hello, i bought a fuel pump from a guy off of 3.8mustang.com. it is a holley 190 lph pump with about 5k miles on it. how long do these pump last. i know it is a walbro and that is what comes factory, so i think it should last but i am worried that i should have payed the extra 50 bucks for a new pump. i got it for 50 plus 12 shipping, i think it was a good deal myself but you should know what my worries are if the pump does not last long. this is for my 95 v6 that needs a pump so i thought " might as well upgrade". it has been down for a good while and i need to get it going asap because i am borrowing a truck and it needs to be returned. i have limited money. very little and i did not have enough to get the new pump for 110 plus 8 shipping from summit so the 62 bucks for a 5k pump sounded good. what do yall think and sorry for typing so long

• Sponsors (?)

I say why even bother asking you already bought it dude. I wouldnt even bother upgrading it if it is a v6, there is no point...unless its built. Should have just went with an OEM one.

I think you all read him wrong, he said he bought the FP from a website called 3.8mustang. com and it is a Holley 190lph.

A 255 would have been a better choice, but 190lph is alot of fuel. It will probally take you until more than 400rwhp. I have a Holley FP, and have heard alot of good things about them.

i must have left out some details. i got them from a guy at 3.8 mustangs. i just had a bolt drilled out of my lower on the 95 so i went ahead and ported the lower,deshafted/halfshafted the T/B and i am making a full length cold air intake/ram air. it already has true duals and the stock headers on the 3.8's flow a good bit. it also has freshly cleaned infectors,new plugs and wires. . i hope this is gonna fix it. it started cutting out so bad that i couldn,t get up a hill. i could not get over 43 mph. when i pulled over i revved it to the floor. the rpms went up to 2000 and quickly dropped to 1000 with the pedal to the floor. running that poorly still i tested the fuel psi and when i revved it, it dropped from 30-5 psi.i also have slightly ported exhaust ports. it needs all the HP it can get.

90mustangGT said:
I think you all read him wrong, he said he bought the FP from a website called 3.8mustang. com and it is a Holley 190lph.

A 255 would have been a better choice, but 190lph is alot of fuel. It will probally take you until more than 400rwhp. I have a Holley FP, and have heard alot of good things about them.

It is a 3.8. Look at his sig, it's overkill buy, hey who cares it won't hurt.

i plan on building a monster turbo 3.8 for this. i already have the old motor that came out of it and the turbo i wanna get the heads fully ported with R/R and a good cam for a turbo. i will be looking for some forged pistons and rods too. then i would need a big pump and injectors and a good tune with a chip. i know very little about the efi stuff. it will be a junkyard turbo install, but the turbo came off of a diesel. i will also need a BOV. this will be my 2nd project once i am fully done with the 89 or atleast to where i am driving the 89.

as long as it's a return fuel system where the extra fuel goes back to the tank, I don't think it's gonna be too big. What I would be more concerned about is buying a Used pump...hook it up to a battery and make sure it works before you drop the tank.

Buying new isn't always fool-proof either. June 03, my fuel pump wouldn't work, I can't remember the details, but I bought a 255 lph BBK pump made by walbro, then last month, the pump went out (less than 300 miles - it's been down), so I tried the old one again since it was in the hatch and it spun up, so I threw it back in...runs fine. Weird, but the moral is these things are crazy!

Good luck

yeah that is my worries. but if the factory pumps are walbro then the holley, which uses the same brand pump, should be ok. like you said though, sometimes there are times when they go bad

when they are on the outs, often the diaphram shows it age when the pump gets hot. it can work fine cold though.

All our fuel pumps flow the same rate of fuel irregardless of engine, output, or rpm, ect. Except the newer returnless fuel pumps. The only dissadvantage to a larger pump than needed is that it will heat the fuel more, but not a real issue.

As far as beefing up a Ford 3.8V6, I think you might as well go ahead with a V8 swap. The 3.8 engine will not take too much. I work in a shop, no offence, but the 3.8 motor gives Chevy and import guys alot of ammo.

90mustangGT said:
All our fuel pumps flow the same rate of fuel irregardless of engine, output, or rpm, ect. Except the newer returnless fuel pumps. The only dissadvantage to a larger pump than needed is that it will heat the fuel more, but not a real issue.

How much HP can a stock 5.0 fuel pump handle ?? :shrug:

What is a stock 5.0 fuel pump rated at anyways ?? :shrug:

Is there a chart somewhere that shows what is the proper size fuel pump to run ?? :shrug: