Did My First Mods Today.

Mattstang04

15 Year Member
Sep 15, 2006
St. Louis, MO
I put in the Energy Suspension transmission mount insert and shifter bushing today. I thought I would try and keep my mods kinda warranty friendly for a while.

I discovered the car had the same movement in the transmission when I was shifting hard under heavy acceleration. The same problem my dad's 14 GT had when it was new. The Energy insert significantly reduced that movement.

Dad's 14 got the Whiteline Performance, hard composite material mount insert. I did not mod the Whiteline piece to reduce the interior NVH. The Energy insert increased NVH but only slightly and mainly under high rpm downshifts for deceleration. In regular driving it was no where near as noisey and not far from stock. The sacrifice is probably more movement in transmission than the Whiteline piece.

Ford's shifter bushing is significantly better than the bushing that was in my father's car. The design is less like a crudely carved chunk of rubber and more like a formed and fitted piece. However, the Ford piece is still the same flexible rubbery composition than the 14 GT's bushing. Replacing it makes the shifts a little crisper and a little less like shifting a wet noodle. A note about install, if you're contemplating doing one yourself. The retainer that Ford puts on the rear shifter bracket (the bracket that this bushing is secured within) is different than the 14 and earlier cars. I myself, left the bracket attached to the body by the retained side of the bracket and replaced the bushing without removing the bracket from the body.

Both pieces are completely removable should I ever feel the urge to break it all down and set it back to stock.

Anyway, I was just excited that I got to mess around with my ride for the first time. Took me a half hour of head scratching to figure how to get the car in the air and on jack stands. I replaced something almost monthly on my old 04 GT and enjoyed playing with new parts. Hopefully more to come with this one, even though I have to be subtle during the warranty period.

Cheers :cheers:

• Sponsors (?)

I put the Steeda transmission mount insert on mine. Best $30 I have spent on a car. No more missed shifts going into 3rd or 5th.