Did the 9" Versaill rear end swap: never hooked up parking brake.....need help!

'69Stang

Founding Member
Sep 28, 1999
Metro Detroit
Guys,
After swapping out my 8” for a Versaille 9” rear end I realized that re-installing the foot/parking brake was not going to be a stock situation. The problem revolves around the fact that I replaced a set of drum brakes with disc brakes. Has anybody on the forum done the drum to disc or Versaille swap on the rear brakes and re-installed his or her foot/parking brake? Any help would be appreciated.

Any recommendations for a shop in the Detroit metro area that might be able to fabricate a solution would be appreciated also.

• Sponsors (?)

I didn't mention it in my post at the top, but the problem I'm having is attaching the end of the cables to the disc brake adjustment bracket. My rear brakes got so out of adjustment that I had to pull off the calipers last night and turn the pistons by hand with a wrench to get then readjusted. The brake pedal was going to the floor, practically.

You use Versailles rear cables, and the original Mustang front cable setup. On my 65, I had to fabricate two 11" long "intermediate" cables to hook it all back together. Even then, you have to have the rear calipers adjusted pretty tight to get enough leverage with the Mustang underdash stuff to get a good "hold".

As you found, it's important to actually USE the Versailles E-brake, as they adjust the rear pad clearance automatically. If you don't hook them up, you have to occassionally pull the rear calipers and manually adjust them.

BTW, I recently switched to a Lokar center-mount E-brake, using the Lokar universal cable setup - VERY easy to hook up, and the E-brake actually works FAR better than the Mustang underdash setup even thought about. :nice:

41099499-88ba-028001E0-.jpg

48957286-8de4-01E00280-.jpg

48957302-0dff-028001E0-.jpg

i'm also interested in the lokar setup. i have an e-brake handle out of an 89 in my car, but it doesn't pull enough cable to be useful in terms of activating the brakes. maybe a 94+ handle would work better?

Parking Brake Handle EHB-7000F
Parking Brake Boot 70EHBF
Parking Brake Cables EC-80FU

I KNOW there are cheaper ways to do this, but this setup all matches up and "plays well together". I was tired of dealing with stuff that works marginally (at best). :shrug:

As mentioned earlier, you want to have the rear calipers adjusted pretty tight - just enough clearance for the rotor to turn. If you have to move the levers more than 1" or so, you're not adjusted tight enough!

BTW, you'll note braided rear hoses - was actually CHEAPER than the rubber replacements! You need 2ea 9" lengths of -3 brake hose, 2ea 7/16" -3 banjos, and 2ea -3 to 3/8-24 I.F. adaptor fittings.

Bobv:
Thank you for the information, it is extremely helpful. I will track down the Lokar hardware for my vehicle. I'm glad to see someone else has actually done it. BTW - nice workmanship, that set-up looks beautiful. Thanks again.

Bobv: Question - it seems that the brake cable and spring are attached to a bracket the break adjustment lever. Actually, that the spring is in between them; did you fabricate the bracket that is in front of the caliper?

The bracket that's next to the leaf spring? That came as part of the Versailles rearend. The cable housing ends at the front of the bracket, and the rear of the bracket has a nylon "eyelet" that the cable passes thru. It actually attaches to the U-bolt.

If yours is missing, I'm not REAL sure where you can get one?

49189190-45eb-01E00280-.jpg

Yea, mine is missing. That is what I am struggling with. I need to get a bracket and the right length spring to fit between the adjustment lever on the caliper and the bracket that is missing. I think I may have to fabricate one or maybe I can find one at a junkyard. Maybe a good brake shop might have an idea on what to do.