Did the Gas pedal mod.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Cavallo said:
I used vacuum hose and zip ties.

I just did exactly the same, and took it for a drive. I really like it. Everyone should do this. The gas pedal is level with the brake now, and I honestly span the 1-2 shift a lot more than normal!??? Anyway, gains or not its a great 2 minute mod.
:nice: :nice:

• Sponsors (?)

I did this on my 5.0 some years ago as I did not completely get the throttle blade fully open with the gas pedal to the floor. Worked well.

Never thought about this for the 4.6. Perhaps, I'll check my throttle tommorrow and do this mod.

Wow, this is the first I've heard of this mod. I'm planning on installing the accufab plenum + TB this afternoon, I guess I'll check to see if the throttle is opening up the TB all the way. Thanks for the info guys!!!

i just pulled out the cable from the pedal then put 3 zip ties on the cable end and it worked great, i tell people its a nylon spacer :) arent zip ties nylon?? lol the only thing i battled with is i tried using 4 ties and whenever i would go from my brake to my gas my foot would always get under the pedal, so i hacked one tie off and its perfect... i mainly did this mod because after 2 layers of reflextis under my carpet i couldnt push my gas down all the way to the floor..

Ford purposely set up the throttle linkage/cable like that. What you guys aren't thinking about is that when your motor is running and you are out on the road and you stand on the loud pedal, the motor will torque over to the passenger side. This places additional tension on the throttle cable. Just because you can stand on the gas pedal when the car is parked without the motor running and the throttle linkage/bell crank doesn't hit the stop, doesn't mean that when you get on it on the street that the blade isn't fully opening. Ford knows this and intelligently engineered the throttle cable to be slightly loose. It's not wise to "falsely" increase" the tension.

The throttle blade is slightly elliptical, not round, it is not made to go perfectly flat. The throttle stop on the factory throttle body stops the blade right around 87°. The throttle stop on a linkage like the Acccufab is specifically engineered to open the blade precisely 88° as per their technical info in their literature I have. The reason for this is because the throttle blade is not supposed to be perfectly flat. If you look closely, there is a hump over the linkage shaft that runs through the middle of the throttle blade. Keeping the blade 1-3° from going flat. This optimizes the air flow (aerodynamics) over this “hump.”

Additionally the PCM begins to switch to WOT tables after an 80% throttle angle and significant load, and even if you manage to open the throttle blade slightly more (which is highly unlikely under operating conditions) you will not gain any aerodynamic advantage whatsoever, you will actually lose some aerodynamic advantage over the throttle blade. So with these things in mind, this mod sounds like it may not be productive, and in fact counterproductive.

Laser red,
in my car i have the gas pedal mod, i also modded the TB by porting it, polishing it.. i cut off one of the 2 pieces that the TB plate sits in between, and shaved down the TB stop so the blade will go 100% flat... was all that a bad idea??

Laser red,
in my car i have the gas pedal mod, i also modded the TB by porting it, polishing it.. i cut off one of the 2 pieces that the TB plate sits in between, and shaved down the TB stop so the blade will go 100% flat... was all that a bad idea??

On my flow bench, the stock TB/plenum together flowed 859 CFM. That is about 44% more than a bone stock 265 HP 281" motor revving to 6000 RMP needs. What this means is that on a bone stock car, at roughly a 66% throttle blade angle and up, the engine is pulling in all the air that it can at that particular throttle position. Of course when you start modding, you will need more than a 66% throttle angle to satisfy the air demands of the modded motor. Then when you get to a point where even at a 99% TPS, the motor has the capacity to consume more air, you will need a bigger TB.

In other words your effort and time would have been better spent elsewhere. Grinding off the throttle stop can over extend the TPS and set a code. It can also adversely affect such things as tip in retard and your WOT spark/fuel scaling.

On my flow bench, the stock TB/plenum together flowed 859 CFM. That is about 44% more than a bone stock 265 HP 281" motor revving to 6000 RMP needs. What this means is that on a bone stock car, at roughly a 66% throttle blade angle and up, the engine is pulling in all the air that it can at that particular throttle position. Of course when you start modding, you will need more than a 66% throttle angle to satisfy the air demands of the modded motor. Then when you get to a point where even at a 99% TPS, the motor has the capacity to consume more air, you will need a bigger TB.

In other words your effort and time would have been better spent elsewhere. Grinding off the throttle stop can over extend the TPS and set a code. It can also adversely affect such things as tip in retard and your WOT spark/fuel scaling.

But bone stock GTs will gain around 7RWHP with an aftermarket plenum and TB :shrug: . TB alone is good for usually 2RWHP.

I think the thing that is often missed here, is sure the stock setup will flow more than enough for the engine...but with a bigger TB/plenum its flowing that air easier. As in the engine doesnt have to work as hard to pull the air in. I also believe the aftermarket plenums are raised a bit to allow the air to gain slightly more velocity which helps some on power.

But bone stock GTs will gain around 7RWHP with an aftermarket plenum and TB :shrug: . TB alone is good for usually 2RWHP.

I think the thing that is often missed here, is sure the stock setup will flow more than enough for the engine...but with a bigger TB/plenum its flowing that air easier. As in the engine doesnt have to work as hard to pull the air in. I also believe the aftermarket plenums are raised a bit to allow the air to gain slightly more velocity which helps some on power.

I think if you read my post one more time, you'll find that I never said that adding an aftermarket TB/Plenum would not increase power. I was merely trying to show that guy that in his efforts to port and make the throttle blade open more, he could have used his time and effort more effectively somewhere else.

The reason that an aftermarket TB/Plenum install makes the litte HP increase that it does has to do with the increased advantage of the pressure differential between atmosphere and the lower intake manifold. It has nothing to do with velocity and little to do with flow.

Status
Not open for further replies.