DIFF. IN DISTRIBUTOR AUTO AND MANUAL ON CARBED FOX???

blckstng96

Apr 13, 2004
im trying to find out what the diff is in distributors on an uto fox and 5spd.my 88 lx is a nightmare as far as getting it to run right so im converting it to carbed set up but when i go to ask for a distributor for an 85 they ask if its manual or auto,just wondering the diff.mainly because its auto right now but in due time it will be a 5spd.anyone??

• Sponsors (?)

85 autos used a different distributor because it was CFI, versus the carb on the manual cars. Use the distributor for the manual, since you're going to run a carb.

To be perfectly honest, I'm not sure. It may not be a bad idea to look at an aftermarket ignition system versus taking a step back in time to the Duraspark system that came on the pre-EFI Mustangs though. A self contained unit like one of the GM HEI style, Mallory, MSD, or any of the other big name ignition manufacturers should work just fine. If you do pick up one from a pre-roller cam car, you'll have to swap over your distributor gear from your current distributor. You'll need a steel gear, not bronze.

Nothing is wrong with them, per se, but the Duraspark modules can sometimes be as prone to failure as the TFI modules are on the EFI cars. Some never have a failure, some go through them like water. Will it run on the Duraspark, or something like a Mallory Hyfire? Yep! :cheers:

I had been curious about the HEI styles as well, which one did you pick up off ebay?? I'm looking to get a EFI swapped over to carb for minimal funds at the moment for my next project car :nice:

Whatever distributor you choose with a carb setup will have to have a mechanical or electroinc spark advance. The 86-95 EFI distributor has no spark advance mechanism. Running locked spark advance may work from limited track applications, but it is definitely not for street driving.