Difference between 1011-1 & 1011-2 head gaskets

Jason 302

10 Year Member
Aug 9, 2003
Newark, Ohio
These are Fel-Pro part numbers. I know the difference is the 1011-1 is metal lined and 1011-2 is copper lined. They list the copper one as the head gasket set for late model 5.0's (83-95 I believe) and the metal set as early blocks. I mistakinly picked up the metal lined ones for my 91 5.0 motor that will be recieving some AFR 165's soon. AFR lists both gaskets as acceptable. Now the only thing I could think of that could go wrong is the the water ports in the gasket are wrong and could cause my motor not to cool right when I fire it up. Does anybody know anything about this? I'm thinking old 302 water pumps where clockwise rather than the 5.0 being counter clockwise causing the different head gasket designs? Can someone help me out?

• Sponsors (?)

You really want to use the stainless rings for a car that has a blower, or high cylinder pressures, the copper rings will work fine with a stock style NA combo.

Pre-flattened Steel Wire Ring Head Gaskets
The strength of steel wire sealing with minimum brinelling of aluminum heads.

Fel-Pro performance head gaskets feature a PermaTorque/blue gasket body with a solid-steel core to minimize torque loss and gasket blowout. They also have a wire-ring combustion seat with stainless steel "armor" for extra sealing force around combustion chambers. They're made with a pre-flattened steel-wire ring, so they have the strength of steel-wire sealing, and the minimum brinelling of aluminum heads.

Pre-flattened Copper Wire Ring Head Gaskets
Copper will not brinell aluminum heads. Offers superior heat dissipation from combustion hot spots.

i had the 1011-2 on alum x heads and flashed over a ring i think it was just a isolated problem. I now have cometics and have no problems at all. but i guess like rick said above i should have used the stainless rings on the 1011-1 and i may have not had that problem