Difference between 5.0 in fox and 94-95?

Begizzle

Jun 19, 2005
What makes the 5.0 liter different in the 94-95 mustangs compared to the 86-93 5.0 liter? The 86-93 setup looks like it makes more horsepower and is easier to tune. How would I convert my 94 gt 5.0 to 86-93 setup? Advantages or Disadvantages?

• Sponsors (?)

The engine itself is fairly simple. The accessories were repackaged and the intake is different.
The fox engines till the last couple months of '92 production had forged slugs. Hypereutectics came after that.

I can't think of big difference otherwise. The 94+'s have a crappy intake but it's offset by having an E-fan.

The processors are completely different however. The 94-95's have a much faster processor that would fly if it were not loaded with a crappy factory tune. The two processors calculate things a bit differently as well.

Random ramblings.
Good luck.

NOTHING, this topic has been beated to death. Don't swap processors, if you get a good tune via a sct or diablo chip you will have NO issues and will be better off than a fox pcm

My plan for the car is to drop in a built 351w. Would the fox throttle body and computer be better for this engine?

You'll probably want a larger throttle body than stock to feed a 351. Same goes for injectors if you were planning on staying EFI.

Either ECU will work just fine, using the ECU already in the car will minimize rewiring - both will have to be tuned for your combo, so the quality of the tune is really based on how well your tuner can work with the ECU and parts that are in-place on the car.

Wes

The differences between the Fox and 94/95 (Engine specific) are:

Timing Cover
Water Pump
Acc. Brackets
Intakes
Fuel rails/injectors

And most Fox Bodies came with a Mechanical fuel pump eccentric on the cam behind the timing over. If you're swapping a Fox motor into a 94/95, you need to use the 94/95 timing cover/water pump, and REMOVE THE FUEL PUMP ECCENRIC. It's not necessary, since we don't use mechanical fuel pumps anymore, and if you leave it on, you'll rip the 94/95 timing cover to shreds, or ruin your valvetrain.

The injectors and rails can interchange between the Foxes and 94/95's. The 94/95 fuel rails are said to be beefier, and handle more power FWIW.

The 94/95 computer can still be used, don't worry. It's more sensitive to aftermarket stuff (Cams are the main thing) than an A9L or A9P from a Fox, but modern tuning stuff (Tweecer for instance) can overcome most of that.