difference between 95 and 98 v6? head gasket

supradan25

May 31, 2010
im working on a 98 v6 mustang..the head gasket kit is 180 for the 98 v6. but only 70 dollars for a 95 v6 mustang..

does anyone know why this would be? are they different? are the 98s made of gold?

any help would be amazing! thanks!!

• Sponsors (?)

With how much work it is to perform a head job, is saving $110 really worth the possiblilty of a bad out come?

While I really don't know for certain why the kit is different, some things that come to mind are:

The 1995 model years were notorious about blowing head gaskets. Perhaps the later MY units are better designed.

Somewhere along the way, the V6 heads were redesigned. I believe the number of intake runners were increased per cylinder.

I try not to comment on threads unless I have something to add. And perhaps someone else can chime in with the exact differences. But, common sense means there are differences between the kits. The auto parts store is not just trying to screw everyone.

Good luck.

obviously its worth the 110 dollar savings to me..im doing this for free and not making anything on this..its a temporary fix for a friend...so i bought the cheaper ones..everything seems to be the same..heads bolted on fine...ill try and start it in the am after its finished...ill post my end result to see if its bad or not.