Difference between H and X pipe?

• Sponsors (?)

European sound. lol That's good.

I'll have to get a recording of my European sounding X-pipe. haha

Anyway... the only really significant difference IS sound. The H is a bit deeper and has a cleaner rumble at the low end while the X is more raspy and choppy at the low end.

An H pretty much maintains it's tone throughout the power band but gets louder (of course) while an X-pipe comes alive under power.

For me, it's a trade-off. H pipes sound better down low and X pipes sound better up high.

HP differences between the two are negligable so long as everything else stays the same.

Not all H pipes and X pipes are created equal. Power wise, some are slightly better than others.

Anyway... the only really significant difference IS sound. The H is a bit deeper and has a cleaner rumble at the low end while the X is more raspy and choppy at the low end.

An H pretty much maintains it's tone throughout the power band but gets louder (of course) while an X-pipe comes alive under power.

For me, it's a trade-off. H pipes sound better down low and X pipes sound better up high.

HP differences between the two are negligable so long as everything else stays the same.

Not all H pipes and X pipes are created equal. Power wise, some are slightly better than others.
This pretty much sums it up.

I've been considering going back to an h-pipe. I love the way the x-pipe howls when I get on it but therein lies the problem. You have to bring the rpms up to the 3k range before it really starts to sing (not hard to do with a 4.10). I'm starting to miss that low-speed growl I had with the h-pipe. The x works well for my '92 since I'd rather a more toned down exhaust for my daily. For the weekend warrior though I'm going back to a more aggressive set-up. H-pipe & Flowmasters, I'm coming home! :D

IMO X and H pipes dont sound too different. i can tell a difference but its nothing huge. there more variance in your headers and mufflers to really tell a difference in just the mid pipe.

i like the h pipe better though lol

x pipes give you a bit more flow than h-pipes do.

but x-pipes give your car a more european sound, and h-pipes give it a more muscley sound.

*Pwned...*

Heres My Flow Off Road X-pipe... The NON Euro x-pipe i guess i got riped off.. Should ask Why i dont have the Coffee can Sound...

View attachment 373559

Not to be rude, but that was the suckiest exhaust video I have ever seen...not the car...the video. Sounds good though. I never said coffee can, I said European, and you could hear it if you revved your engine a little more in the vid.

I believe it is tmoss that stated that an H-pipe attributed to more overall power throughout the powerband in a thread sometime last year...

I do not believe there is a real difference between either.

Go based on sound...

I prefer the H...