Difference in oil pressure senders?

Scott19

Nov 11, 2003
Atlanta
Hey, Folks. I've got a 90 LX 5.0, and I'm experiencing the common problem of a low oil pressure reading on my stock gauge. I'm not freaking out about, since I've learned here that it is very common. However, on doing some looking on parts websites, I've discovered that there are sometimes two different oil pressure senders listed for my year car. One is the bell shaped one like on my engine, but there is another that is a more narrow tube shape. This one also appears to perhaps be shrouded in rubber. Does anyone know the differences in these two, and if my 90 should really have the smaller diameter one? Looks like the smaller one is listed for 90-93. Thanks in advance for any responses.

• Sponsors (?)

It's hard to tell w/o seeing the pic. Does your car have a low oil indicator on the dash? If it does than you have a sensor in the oil pan and that is probably what the longer, narrower sending unit is for. The bell shaped one would be for your o/p gauge.

That is correct, but I personally would spend the $10 on an aftermarket manual guage. I have some cheap sunpros in the truck and GF's car, they work as good as the Autometers in the stang. I got temp and oil pres. for $20 or so. Then $20 more for an A-pillar mount and you got some accurate guages where they can be easily seen. If you get a new sender, you still wont know how many PSI you are pushing.

Jerry is right on as usual. My factory oil pressure gauge was scaring me last summer dropping so low. I replaced the sending unit and it was still low. I finally bought an oil and temp gauge fro my pillar and everything was fine it was just the crappy stock gauge. I highly recomend getting a set it is one of the smartest mods you can do. I have autometer electric gauges I have been told they are not as accurate as mechanical, but they are still 100 times better than the factory ones. You can have them installed in no time.

jerry beach said:
That is correct, but I personally would spend the $10 on an aftermarket manual guage. I have some cheap sunpros in the truck and GF's car, they work as good as the Autometers in the stang. I got temp and oil pres. for $20 or so. Then $20 more for an A-pillar mount and you got some accurate guages where they can be easily seen. If you get a new sender, you still wont know how many PSI you are pushing.
Nice lookin' car man!!! :nice: