DIFFERENCES BETWEEN 99-04 Mustang Gts

creilly84

Jan 18, 2004
Hi, I am looking into buying a 99-04 Gt. However I am not very knowledgeable about these cars, I am much more familiar with the 94-98 sn95's. What are the differences externally and internally on these machines. I noticed the 99 and 00 have a different spoiler than the 01-04's. And it looks like the side scoops are a bit different. Is one better than the other? Also, are the motors the same or is one preferred over the other. I read in comsumer's magazine that the 2000 was rated having a better engine than the other ones, but that is probably just crap. Please write what you know. Thanks

• Sponsors (?)

99's and 00's have a windsor engine with different heads that make a lower compression ratio. The 01's and newer have romeo engines with the higher c/r. The 99's and 00's have the t-45 transmission and the 01's and newer have te 3650 tranny, which a lot of people complain about. People have a lot of grinding problems with them. This is a start for you anyway...

MT1083 said:
99's and 00's have a windsor engine with different heads that make a lower compression ratio. The 01's and newer have romeo engines with the higher c/r. The 99's and 00's have the t-45 transmission and the 01's and newer have te 3650 tranny, which a lot of people complain about. People have a lot of grinding problems with them. This is a start for you anyway...

I have also heard unconfirmed rumours that the cam profile of the '99-'00 is slightly different and makes up for the slightly lower compression. The Windsor is also supposedly somewhat stronger, but this only makes a difference if you supercharge it and then you'll probably want forged internals anyway so it's a moot point.

I have had zero problems with my '00 except for the IAC valve (pretty much an expendable part) and I am at 55,000 miles.

MT1083 said:
The T45 transmission was on the 2001 upto February 01, then they switched over to the 3650.

99-mid 01 were T- 45 trannies which have less problems than the 3650's they used the windsor blocks which has 6 main bolts instead of 4 and a lower compression ratio. Also unless you have a 35th anniversary or spring edition it had the non scoop hood and different side scoops. Center console is different as well and the rim and spoiler types were different. There are several smaller differences that most people won't notice and are hardly of any revelance.

I had a 00GT. Tt had a bullit proof tranny (T5), and the engine was real strong. Ran 13.663 bone stock. The engine was smooth and strong sounding.

I now have a 02GT. I have gone through 2 trannies (T-3650 POS). My warranty is void. The engine doesn't feel as grunty down low, but is still strong. I notice it sounds a bit more mechanical vs smoother (marginal sound difference). The car ran a 13.77 bone stock.

LizardKing 2002 said:
I had a 00GT. Tt had a bullit proof tranny (T5), and the engine was real strong. Ran 13.663 bone stock. The engine was smooth and strong sounding.

I now have a 02GT. I have gone through 2 trannies (T-3650 POS). My warranty is void. The engine doesn't feel as grunty down low, but is still strong. I notice it sounds a bit more mechanical vs smoother (marginal sound difference). The car ran a 13.77 bone stock.

Right... I'm gonna call :bs: on this one. First of all the t5 is far from bullet proof, and i wanna know where the hell you got your GT from, if I could find a stock GT that ran 13.6 stock i'd buy 2...

Call BS all you want. I've gone through this crap before with others...
I have gone 13.663 on a stock 00 Stang... even stock air filter. I have ran 13.669. I have a good dozen 13.7xx with that stang. Some runs are on video.

Stock Stock Stock. not even tint.

My 02 Stang ran 13.7xx twice in stock form. Goodyear ZR 245/17/45 Factory stock. I have several 13.8s in stock form.

BS me all you want. It won't change these facts. Instead of wandering where to BUY the stang, why don't you choose your days and tracks better?

60F on a sunny day at 80ft over sea level will give you the maximum chances of getting these times.

LizardKing 2002 said:

99- Mid 2001 had T-45 Transmission, not T-5.

The heads are not different, on 99- 2001. 2001 received a different Black, raising the compression ration to 9.4:1 I think :shrug:

Gumby said:
What he said, also the 04s come from the factory with 3.55s, so they tend to be a little quicker!!

I'm not sure that the 04 GTs have 3.55s. I thought that at one point, but I believe the Ford website specs show the GT with 3.27s and the Mach 1 with 3.55s. Not completely sure, but definitely worth confirming.

Interier wise 99-2000 had blue lights and the old style radio 2001+ has green lights new stereo and a little bit different center console. defrost button and fog lights is in a different location.
I think 2001+ have bigger fuel injectors too.

A lot of creature comforts were added/fixed in 2000 and even more in 2001. Like the cup holders, pockets on the back of the seats, a net above the shifter (on the roof), a net in trunk, seats are a little better, buttons moved around, boot to cover the e-brake, etc etc

Same size injectors for all years, but I think in 01 the color changed.