Mach 1 Differences btwn 03 and 04

Funhog

Mar 30, 2005
Alabama
OK I know I posted recently that I was looking at an 04 Mach 1. Well I stopped thinking about it because the dealer would not go down in price. Yesterday my dad called me and told me to come home because there is another 04 Mach 1 right across the street from the first one I looked at. Its black on black that is all stock. The only thing is it has 28+K miles. So I said no to that. Well I happened to take a ride in it anyway and now I want one real bad. So I went on autotader and found an 03, black on black all stock with only 16K miles. The dealer is asking $21,500. So my two questions are, what is the difference btwn the 03 and 04 Mach and what is a decent price for that 03? Thanks and sorry for rambling.

• Sponsors (?)

The only thing I have noticed in difference is the emblems. The 04 has some that are not on the 03. But then again, I've never actually taken the time to look at one(04)

I have a close friend that works at a dealership and has for 13 years. He is the reason I bought my Mach 1. When I called him with the price of 22, he told me to grab it. Kelley blue book is pretty much accurate. BUT, with that being said, the valur of Kelly Blue Book has APPRECIATED drastically since I purchased mine in January. And-is constantly climbling. Mine has not even 12000 miles on it right now, and even though I am asking for alittle more then resale value-it should not have any problem reaching an equal value in the next year or two-providing it stays in great shape and low miles. I bought it as an investment(and it looks great!)
Check the lue book, and look up trade in value, resale value and retail value. That will give you an idea.

The differences between an 03 and an 04 Mach 1 are so subtle, they are really non-issues. The 04 has the obligatory "40th Anninversary" badges on the front fenders instead of the running Pony tri-bar. The 04's valve covers are unpainted instead of the black powdercoat on the 03. There was an engineering change in the fuel delivery system that eliminated the Schrader valve on the fuel rail. Nothing major was changed between years. I would consider that price on the 03 to be reasonable, especially from a dealer. Don't forget, they made a rather limited amount of Mach 1's, and that number is shrinking all the time due to attrition (accidents, fires, floods, etc.), so they are holding their value a little better than most Mustangs, including 03/04 Cobras.

the '03s had that pouch on the roof lining to put sunglasses and stuff... hte '04s dont have it. also, the wiring on the harness for the radio/cd changer is different... different harness shape.

Sounds to me like Ford designed the Mach1 for 03, it did so well that they thought they'd try it another year. And the 04 was cosmetically deprived somewhat. IMO

I found this on the front of the mach1registry website.- MSRP Around $29,295 with Interior Upgrade & 5-speed.

They are disapearing, and fast. At other sites, you can bet on Mondays, at least 1 or 2 people will post pics of their original Mach 1 wrecked from something stupid they did over the weekend.

Better get one while you can.

IF you really want one!

03SCazure said:
the 03 machs were rated with 305 horsepower, the 04 are rated at 310. I dont know what caused the 5 HP gain.
Thats actually a misnomer. Ford posted that on their website prior to the 04 production, then quickly reverted back to the 305hp 320tq ratings. If you look at any 04 Mustang sales brochure, you'll see that the horsepower and torque ratings stayed the same as the 03.

There actually is no difference in power between 03 and 04, despite what some people think. I have a friend that has an 04 Mach and I raced him in my 03 several times when we were both still stock and I would just beat him time after time. He doesn't know how to drive very well which has a lot to do with it but it still kinda proves the point.

I think if maybe you can wait alittle longer, maybe even till next spring, you could easily find a '03-'04 Mach with less than 10,000 miles. Quite afew times even less than 5,000 miles. People may have stuck them away for the winter in your area. Here, it just rains 99% of the time so you see them for sale quite often. Their was an '04 Mach the other day for sale at a car lot with 5,200 miles on it for $20,000. That price was unreal. I would have inspected that car with a fine tooth comb, because usually dealers have a Mach with that low of miles for $25,000 at least.