Different: Adjusting stud RR's question, and couple questions on FEL-1250 gaskets?

5spd GT

"the 5.0 owns all"
Founding Member
Aug 7, 2002
Arkansas
When adjusting the rocker arms...(hydraulic lifters)...when you see the "exhaust" lifter coming up...do you adjust the intake RIGHT when you see movement from that "exhaust" lifter????

On the gasket...I don't use the block ends (4 of them) that came with the kit right...just a bead of silicone...?

Also...there is a rubber O ring type piece that came with the kit...what is that for????

Also...how much harder should the engine turn over when you have the valvetrain on?...I also get a very consistent yet light areas when turning the crank that it is harder then turns easier...very light though but noticeable...is that normal...I hope that made sense...

Thanks,

David

• Sponsors (?)

I understand where you are coming from, but I think you would be better off by just starting with #1 piston at TDC of the compression stroke and going through the standard procedure. I would recommend you pick up a shop manual. It will not only tell you how to set the valves, but also the torque specs & sequence for the intake bolts. You will need to know this also.

Use the gaskets that seal against your heads, but use ¼” bead of silicon on the front and back of the block surface. That should leave you with 2 spare gaskets. I would also recommend putting a thin (1/8” or so) bead of silicon around the coolant passages too.

Not sure on the o-ring. Distributor?

If you have the spark plugs in, the engine is acting like an air pump. It will turn hard and unevenly.

Sorry, didn`t mean to be a smart a__. You must be using a different method to adjust the valves than I use. I set them by turning the motor a certain number of degrees past #1TDC. I don’t go by the movements of the lifters. Maybe I am not reading your posts right.

Watch the pushrods for the pair you're installing. Rotate the motor until the exhaust pushrod comes up/goes down, and then the intake pushrod comes up/goes down. Once the intake pushrod is down all the way, both lifters are on the base circle of the cam. You can now install that pair of rockers. Hand tighten until there is zero lash, then add another half turn and set the lock screw.