Fox Differential Leaking. What To Do About It?

James V

5 Year Member
Feb 26, 2017
Connecticut
Still working on the 93 coupe I bought a few months ago. I noticed there's a puddle of fluid on cardboard I layed down under the differential. What does this mean? Also how urgent is it? Could it cause damage?

• Sponsors (?)

Well, running dry in the diff could cause you some trouble.

Where is the leak from? the cover? Pretty simple fix really. Before pulling the cover off, I'd recommend trying to remove the fill port first from the front of the differential. If you can't get it out, you can order a diff cover that comes with fill/drain holes on it.

You can also get one of those reusable gaskets to make working on it easier.

I also find that 5 min with a wire wheel and some spray paint makes it look a ton better.

Reactions: 1 users
Well, running dry in the diff could cause you some trouble.

Where is the leak from? the cover? Pretty simple fix really. Before pulling the cover off, I'd recommend trying to remove the fill port first from the front of the differential. If you can't get it out, you can order a diff cover that comes with fill/drain holes on it.

Once I get under there this weekend i'll get back to you. The weird thing is the whole rear end was just worked on by mustang magic in CT recently. Thanks for the help.

if its from the cover id trash the sheet metal cover and put a girdle on it. trash the paper gasket and use black RTV. clean up the surface with a razor and brake clean to get any old gasket off.

if its from the pinion seal... well its coming apart to be done right

Reactions: 2 users
People make mistakes, see if the leak is from the front or back.

Sounds like a personal problem Dave. lol

Serious- a lot of guys fail to replace the pinion seal , fail to notice a burr on the pinion, or sometimes the pinion opening needs to be sleeved due to excessive wear. Lastly I've seen leaks where the axle tubes meet the center pumpkin along the questionable factory welds. Hopefully it's just the differential cover which is an easy R&R. Wire wheel on the cover and differential opening, some Tuff Stuff on the opening slap it back together. Fill the differential from either the vent tube on the axle housing or the fill plug on top of the differential with 2 quarts of your favorite gear oil and friction additive.

Reactions: 1 user