difficulty of cam install on a 4.6 2v?

• Sponsors (?)

Dave00GT said:
Just a thought, but wouldn't the stock head be a restriction to a set of aftermarket cams? I'm thinking about a head/cam package, rather then just cams later on down the road when I get her blown :D

Yes and no. VT Stage I or Comp Cams EX262AH are pretty good for the stock heads. I had plans to get my heads ported down the road so I went with Comp Cams XE270AHs. With as few mods as I have, I was pleasantly surprised with the outcome.

I have:

- Comp 270s
- C&L upper plenum
- Accufab 75mm TB
- Mac Headers
- O/R X
- Magnaflow catback w/spintechs
- Steeda pulleys
- Steeda CAI

290rwhp/301rwtq

There is a thread from Modular Depot that I can't access at this time, but it was a near-stock '00 GT. The only mod was a pair of welded in Flowmasters and it got 29rwhp from VT Stage IIs.

DerekStangGT said:
thanks for the bump......perv

EDIT: Nick, did you get a tune w/ your cams?

i know, but i'll let him answer

as for myself i got a tune, prolly a good thing i did too. when i took it to MPH to get it tuned it was at 18:1 a/f :eek: so you don't 'need' it but i sure wouldn't skimp on one

c2see21 said:
i know, but i'll let him answer

as for myself i got a tune, prolly a good thing i did too. when i took it to MPH to get it tuned it was at 18:1 a/f :eek: so you don't 'need' it but i sure wouldn't skimp on one
C2, do you have any dyno info or gains from your setup? what cams did you go with and what were your impressions? thanks

DerekStangGT said:
C2, do you have any dyno info or gains from your setup? what cams did you go with and what were your impressions? thanks

yup, i made 273rwhp & 297rwtq, 13.5 - 13.0 a/f. was gunna switch a few things around & shoot for 300rwhp with the stage 1 cams, but now i'm getting a novi 2000 within the month. which is part of the reason i went with the stage 1's actually, lol. i didn't want the cams eating up tooooo much boost if i changed my mind.

the car is completely different with the cams, it pulls all the way past redline now :D a friend got a nice lil vid of me pulling past a ls1 TA in 4th gear this past week, if that tells ya anything :nice:

c2see21 said:
yup, i made 273rwhp & 297rwtq, 13.5 - 13.0 a/f. was gunna switch a few things around & shoot for 300rwhp with the stage 1 cams, but now i'm getting a novi 2000 within the month. which is part of the reason i went with the stage 1's actually, lol. i didn't want the cams eating up tooooo much boost if i changed my mind.

the car is completely different with the cams, it pulls all the way past redline now :D a friend got a nice lil vid of me pulling past a ls1 TA in 4th gear this past week, if that tells ya anything :nice:
thanks for the info! in your opinion, do you think the stage 2s are too much for a N/A DD? im just afraid that after spending so much on cams and springs, i'll be disapointed with the results

DerekStangGT said:
thanks for the info! in your opinion, do you think the stage 2s are too much for a N/A DD? im just afraid that after spending so much on cams and springs, i'll be disapointed with the results

no i don't think they'd be too much at all. if you are planning on staying n/a & possibly getting some head work done in the future, i'd definately get them. here are a couple clips of my car with the cams. first one is right after the install, the second is right after tim lowered my idle a touch. the car has vt stage 1's, mac lt's, prochamber & weld in flowpaths at the moment for exhaust :nice:

start up
adjusted idle

I think the biggest problem with the AFM Tool and others similar is just what the guys said above, they didn't lock it in place as said in the instructions, that why some have had the chain skip and go out of timing thus giving the tool a bad rep....people not reading instructions.
I am leaning towards Stage I's and the cam tool. :D

I've got a tune with my cams. It would run without a tune, but that was about it. Drivablility was poor and it wanted to die at stop signs. I had the Steeda reflash and that and the cam combo made for a really lean A/F ratio.

With the tune, the car is docile and could easily be used as a daily driver. I would, but I have my Nissan to take the beatings from my co-worker's doors and to get eaten by the salt monster.

nickthegenius said:
HAR HAR HAR!!! Thats some great intarw3b mis-information, dumb ass :rolleyes:

Derek, if you only do cams, you can use one of the cam tools either from your local Ford dealer or the Anderson Ford Motorsports tool. I used the AFM tool for my cam install. Had I only done the cams, it would have taken about 2 hours. The springs are what take a while. If you want to get some good power increases and not have to change the springs, go for a set of VT Engines Stage I cams. Bill Putnam (Mustang92 on this board) got 22rwhp/1rwtq from his VT Stage Is.

If you want to do it the "right way" and pull the front cover, here is a write up from start to finish. This is Bill Putnam's write-up from Modular Depot:

http://www.modulardepot.com/?show=articlesdet&aid=39

really only 2 hours thats not too bad figure even if it took 4 hours thats not too bad, anyone have a writeup for an install of the stage 1 w/o doing the springs???