Digital msd ignition box

Hi everyone. I am looking to buy the Summit digital msd ignition box PN SUM-850600 and was wondering if they are any good as for performance and reliability and is anyone using one and what are your thoughts on them? Also will this be better than my duraspark II that I am using now and by how much? Thank you for your comments. Greg

• Sponsors (?)

I would expect it to perform better than the Duraspark, but I really don't know. I am running an MSD 6AL in my Mustang and think it works great so far. I have my eye on the same box you are looking at for my son's 70 Cougar that we are building, so I am also curious about it. The research I have done on it so far, it appears that it is the same exact thing as the Mallory Hy-fire. I wouldn't be surprised if it were the exact same box with different packaging.

No, not yet. I don't really trust my tranny. I've got another in the garage that I'm going to swap in it in a couple weeks. Someday I'll actually spend the money and do the T5 conversion everyone else has done, but other priorities have pushed that back. I am curious to see what she will do though. I am having thoughts of taking it up to Waterhole for the 4th Street Cruise on Memorial Day weekend. All my friends want to see it finally run! I dont know if maybe CF Raceway is open that weekend...I'll have to look into it sometime soon. Could be able to make a time of it?

I'm running the MSD 6-AL also, and I run it in conjunction with the Duraspark, not as a replacement. It provides better spark; the owner of a local speed shop told me he calls them "spark plug cleaners." This unit should be the same, and can be wired with the Duraspark, which is a very reliable system. The benefit of the multiple sparks at low rpm and the increased spark power at high rpm are measurable. If you choose not to use the Duraspark, you will need to have another method of determining the timing, like a magnetic trigger.