Dipstick Not Correct

Scott7512

May 19, 2015
Branchland WV
Changed oil and filter. Drained both front and back of oil pan. Filled with 5 quarts. Dipstick shows 1 inch above full mark. I was told before "just mark the dipstick at 5 quarts and live with it". The dipstick is the correct part number per the ford parts website (F1ZE-6750-DA M). The car had work done to it before I got it but I cant see someone changing the dipstick tube. Does anyone have an explanation for this?

• Sponsors (?)

You should have added the 5 quarts and fired the engine to circulate the oil, there is no oil in the filter if you measured it prior to firing the engine.

Changed oil and filter. Drained both front and back of oil pan. Filled with 5 quarts. Dipstick shows 1 inch above full mark. I was told before "just mark the dipstick at 5 quarts and live with it". The dipstick is the correct part number per the ford parts website (F1ZE-6750-DA M). The car had work done to it before I got it but I cant see someone changing the dipstick tube. Does anyone have an explanation for this?
The dipstick is a bigger liar than most fishermen that I have met.

Drain both front & rear sumps, put the drain plugs back in. Then change the filter and add 4 quarts oil. Start the engine and let it idle 2 minutes or so. Shut it off, wait 2 minutes for the oil to drain back into the pan. Pull the dipstick out, wipe it off and stick it back in. Pull it out again and take note of the oil level. I marked the dipstick with a scratch from a file at the 4 quart level.

Add the 5th quart, start the engine and let it idle 2 minutes or so. Shut it off, wait 2 minutes for the oil to drain back into the pan. Pull the dipstick out, wipe it off and stick it back in. Pull it out again and take note of the oil level; it won't be anywhere near the factory full marks. I marked the dipstick with a scratch from a file at the 5 quart level, which is about 1" above the factory full mark.

So these cars left the factory that way? What about all of the people who bought these cars back in the day just keeping the oil at the factory mark? I do have the dipstick marked for 5 quarts. I was just wanting to have it read correctly.

So these cars left the factory that way? What about all of the people who bought these cars back in the day just keeping the oil at the factory mark? I do have the dipstick marked for 5 quarts. I was just wanting to have it read correctly.
Yes they left the Factory this way, again the Service Manual says the level can be all the way up to the "F" and considered normal.

So if someone was keeping it at the full mark, they would actually be about a quart and a half low. I guess the only way to get the stick to read correctly is to shorten it somehow. I will probably just keep using my mark on it. Thanks

Dip Stick Reading.JPG

Reactions: 1 user
This has got me thinking about my oil check'n stick, it's got a yellow top on it and E7FE, the Ford is a long way from the hash marks, like 7 quarts to get near it :scratch: I did the five quart stick mark along time ago.