Disappointed with new California Special

Realmongo

I prefer to be called "Evil Genius"
Founding Member
Oct 10, 2001
Western Mass
I was thinking of ordering one until I saw the cars on eBay (by your typical over-greedy Ford dealers). Besides the fact it should have been held until 2008 (to honor the 1968 cars), the cars appear to be nothing more than a lame attempt to push more top-level GT cars. I really expected something more dramatic than tape stripes. Where are the California Special emblems on the rear fenders? Where are the awesome rear tail lights that are supposed to go all the way across the back of the car?

:shrug:

• Sponsors (?)

Agreed. I owned a 1968 GT/CS and this new car is a sham. It is just a dress up kit on the GT and a poor one at that.

Not to mention there's nothing "California" about it since it is a nation wide release.

I think this is going to be the flop of the stable this year.

SaleenBuyer said:
Agreed. I owned a 1968 GT/CS and this new car is a sham. It is just a dress up kit on the GT and a poor one at that.

Not to mention there's nothing "California" about it since it is a nation wide release.

I think this is going to be the flop of the stable this year.

With the '68, you could be a football field away and still be able to tell what it was!

Realmongo said:
With the '68, you could be a football field away and still be able to tell what it was!

Yep indeed. The '68 has a great and unique styling, unlike the 2007. I was pretty excited when I saw the announcement that they were bringing out the GT/CS in 2007. That excitement faded immediately after I saw some pictures :notnice:

oh well

Front and Rear bumper covers are different as well as the interior is two toned, so it is a little more than a tape stripe,and I think that the rear badge is labeled GT/CS.

The orginal CS came standard with the 200ci six. There are only a handful known to exist.

I would have liked to see the CS offered in a V6 and GT version.

I agree, the badges and tail lights would have made a world of difference.

Im sure many CS owners will add the fender scripts and some sharp aftermarket company will figure out a way to make the tail lights.

Ford is great at having a great idea, then doing a half-assed follow through.

How about a Shelby comparable to the GT-H. That would be affordable, have Shelby's name and probably be a good seller. I would go for one, since the price would have to be many thousands less than the GT500.

California Special

I like the extras that come with the California special and I think you get a lot for your $$$ and it is a little more unique than a regular GT. I wish you could get some different color combos but I think the White looks the best. I don't know if I'll order a 07 or wait and see if they come out with something new in the spring. The Boss would be nice.

I will first off say anyone can say anything and have an opinion as well. Now let me give mine.

As being a new GT/CS owner, I think that a lot of what I read here is pure :bs: . Of course they are not going to make a car exactly like a previous year car. Even the 05+ cars are not EXACTLY like previous year cars. Yes they look good but what you do is combine the new with the old and get "Retro" not an exact twin. Making and exact duplicate takes away from the original. I think it is a tribute to the vintage. Not made to replace it. Even the new Boss, Bullit or whatever they make next will not be an exact twin to the original. But I guess there will be those out there they will complain about them as well.

I am also a member of "California Special Forum" on www.californiaspecial.com There are no negative comments on there that I have read yet and several went out and now own the new with their old Vintage CS. If it was good enough for the true Classic's then why not be good for you. But maybe I am :bang: .

Well....

My understanding is that any of the original fastbacks are more sought after than the original CS/GT. Even the original was not too special. I like that it was at least limited to California release. The new one held my attention for about five minutes. I could see an original CS/GT owner appreciating them more than others. They probably will be rare though, as I don't see a lot of people getting them.

I can't knock it, If both my GT and the CS/GT were on a scale I would take the CS... But I wouldn't go out of my way to pay for one.

Ford_MustangGT_291_1024x768.jpg

Ford_MustangGT_290_1024x768.jpg

Ford_MustangGT_288_1024x768.jpg

* Larger Air Intake
* Custom Intake Engine Cover w/pony emblem
* Integrated Chin Spoiler
* 1.5-inch lower ride height than Mustang GT
* Hood Scoop
* Side Scoops
* GT/CS Decals along the front fender and door
* Diffuser Rear Wing
* California Special Floor Mats
* Bright rolled dual exhaust tips
* 18-inch polished aluminum 5-spoke wheels (64W)

Ok not that I am trying to provoke anyone. But disappointed because it's just a dressed up GT. Umm hello anyone really REALLY remember the originals? They were little more than dressed up gt's as well. The differences listed are.
Fiberglass Trunk lid, fiberglass taillight panel, Rear quarter extension, "California Special" script, Pop-off gas cap, Tail Lights, Side Scoops, Stripe kits (GT/CS included), Grille, Hood lock assy, Fog Lights.

The new one comes with the sidescoops just like the original. It also has the decals of the original. The rear emblem is different than the standard GT. It's already got the foglights, So we are basicall missing the taillights, the hood locks, the grille and the fiberglass trunklid. But instead you get a new front and rear fascia. Which are clearly different from the standard GT. It also gets 18" wheels standard with the rolled exhaust tips. CS badged floor mats. And parchment or dove colored leather inserts in the interior.

Seems to me to be at least as different as the original one was. You just don't get the different taillights really.

SVTdriver said:
Ok not that I am trying to provoke anyone. But disappointed because it's just a dressed up GT. Umm hello anyone really REALLY remember the originals? They were little more than dressed up gt's as well. The differences listed are.
Fiberglass Trunk lid, fiberglass taillight panel, Rear quarter extension, "California Special" script, Pop-off gas cap, Tail Lights, Side Scoops, Stripe kits (GT/CS included), Grille, Hood lock assy, Fog Lights.

The new one comes with the sidescoops just like the original. It also has the decals of the original. The rear emblem is different than the standard GT. It's already got the foglights, So we are basicall missing the taillights, the hood locks, the grille and the fiberglass trunklid. But instead you get a new front and rear fascia. Which are clearly different from the standard GT. It also gets 18" wheels standard with the rolled exhaust tips. CS badged floor mats. And parchment or dove colored leather inserts in the interior.

Seems to me to be at least as different as the original one was. You just don't get the different taillights really.
You forgot nation wide release vs. Califonia Special Edition. I think that is what bugged me the most. If the CS was only available in CA like the original, it would be more "special" and I would give it a lot more consideration. I'm still open to getting one, just to be a little unique but still factory.