disc conversion on 1968 mustang

Not exactly. At the bottom of the link is a perfectly acceptable way not to buy special tie rod ends. ;)
MustangSteve's Tie Rod Adapters and Lower Ball Joint Adapters for Installation of Granada or Versailles Disc Brakes on 65-73 Mustangs
I've always preferred the granada myself. I've always had aftermarket rims so that was never a problem. Last time I price rotors compared to stock they Granada's were almost 100 bucks a piece cheaper just for the rotor. Maybe that's changed because of the Chinese, dunno.

• Sponsors (?)

I've always preferred the granada myself. I've always had aftermarket rims so that was never a problem. Last time I price rotors compared to stock they Granada's were almost 100 bucks apiece cheaper just for the rotor. Maybe that's changed because of the Chinese, dunno.

Hmmm… I don't see how, the 65-73 types are $97. Well, the "show correct" 68-69 two piece type is $179, maybe that's what you're thinking of. Advance sells Granada rotors for $47, and I'm pretty sure that's a $50 difference. :)

Still, the Granada bits are cheaper.

Here's a list of why you'd be better off with an OE style 65-7 kit, than using Granada parts:

•Slight changes in steering arm geometry over stock.
•Slight mislocation of steering limit stops.
•Unless the Granada in question just passed inspection before hitting the junkyard, you'll need to replace at least the pads and calipers, and possibly the rotors and grease seals. Cha-ching.
•Since the steering arm hole in the Granada is far larger, even bigger than the 70-73 Mustang, you'll need Granada outer tie rod ends. Cha-ching.
•If you have PS, you'll need a unique custom outer tie rod end on the LH side. Cha-ching.
•The Granada brakes require removal and installation of the spindles. Lots of work.
•Replacing the spindles requires wheel alignment, driving cost up more. Cha-ching.
•The hubs of the Granada rotors are larger than 65-73 Mustangs, so you may have to replace your wheels. Cha-ching again.

Using an OE style kit eliminates all of these problems, so the higher up front cost of an OE style kit is made up later in lower finishing cost, and a lot less work.

In fact, the OE 65-67 style brakes can be just as easily fitted to 68-73 Mustangs.

Now, after much ado, we have somehow revolved back to the Facts.

The General Public, the buyer that are being effected, need to know the facts, they don't need Fiction, or "will Fit", "Like", Just like, same as, Carry Over, verbage.

The bottom line, non stock products present Fitment problems, plain and simple, no way around the issue.

Dan @

ChockoStang

Here's a list of why you'd be better off with an OE style 65-7 kit, than using Granada parts:

•Slight changes in steering arm geometry over stock.
•Slight mislocation of steering limit stops.
•Unless the Granada in question just passed inspection before hitting the junkyard, you'll need to replace at least the pads and calipers, and possibly the rotors and grease seals. Cha-ching.
•Since the steering arm hole in the Granada is far larger, even bigger than the 70-73 Mustang, you'll need Granada outer tie rod ends. Cha-ching.
•If you have PS, you'll need a unique custom outer tie rod end on the LH side. Cha-ching.
•The Granada brakes require removal and installation of the spindles. Lots of work.
•Replacing the spindles requires wheel alignment, driving cost up more. Cha-ching.
•The hubs of the Granada rotors are larger than 65-73 Mustangs, so you may have to replace your wheels. Cha-ching again.

Using an OE style kit eliminates all of these problems, so the higher up front cost of an OE style kit is made up later in lower finishing cost, and a lot less work.

In fact, the OE 65-67 style brakes can be just as easily fitted to 68-73 Mustangs.

The 4-piston K/H brake system is no more 'correct' for a '68-'73 Mustang than the '75-'80 Granda disc brake system would be. However, the Granada front disc brake setup is very close in design to the stock '68-'73 Mustang front discs, whereas the '65-'67 K/H front disc setup is nothing like the factory '68-'73 front factory discs.

Wrecking yard take-off Granada disc brake parts only represents a potential problem when installing these components on a '65/'66 Mustang. It does not create steering problems when installed on a '67-'70 Mustang because the Granada shares the very same front end width and suspension geometry as the '67-'70 Mustangs. --'65/'66 Mustang track width is 2" narrower than '67-'70 Mustang/'75-'80 Granadas.

Steering stops remain in the same, unmodified, location on '67-'70 Mustangs with Granada brakes. [only '65/'66 models require modifcation].

Replacement brake components for Granada are, overall, far cheaper than replacement parts for the K/H 4-piston brakes.

NAPA parts/price listings:
1. Granada rotors $57.49 ea., K/H rotors $67.49-$199.00 ea.
2. Granada calipers $21.49 ea. + $10.00 core, K/H calipers $164.00ea. + $55.00 core.
3. Granada pads $16.99 front set, K/H pads $11.99 front set.
4. Granada front wheel seal $3.99 ea, K/H front wheel seal $3.99 ea.
5. Granada front caliper hose $10.99 ea, K/H front caliper hose $26.99 ea.

Stock '68 Mustang outer tie rod is $43.49 ea, Granada outer tie rod is $13.69 ea. --67-'70 Mustang uses same type outer tie rod on both sides regardless if you have power steering or not. The odd-ball, curved driver's side outer tie rod only applies to '65/'66 Mustangs with power steering.

Changing spindles only requires unhooking the brake hose, knocking the outer tie rod, & upper and lower ball joints loose to remove the existing spindle/brake assembly from the suspension arms.

Many people have long-since changed their wheels from stock anyway --particularly if they are making upgrade modifications to their Mustangs.

Not only are the up front costs of the K/H 4-piston caliper brake systems high, the consumable replacement parts costs are far higher than the Granada discs as well. The money saved will more than make up for any alignment costs incurred. The K/H 4-piston setup is a good braking system, but it will ultimately have a far greater "Cha-ching" factor to obtain & as well as to maintain them.

'69 Torino will bolt right up, spindles and all. That's how I converted my '68 from drum to disc. Found complete spindles w/discs on ebay for $80. Bolted the spindles in place of the old ones, ran down to Autozone for new calipers and disc, new MC designed for disc brakes, adjustable push rod for the MC, walla, non-power disc brakes.

good morning all, new to this forum, but not new to wrenching on old cars, normally they are GM and mainly trucks but my 16 year old son has always wanted a first gen mustang, so that is what we are building... long story short, 1968 V8 5 lug car, swapped in kelsey hayes kit off a 67; now finding the cost is pretty crazy for these calipers; the stock spindles are long gone - which i learned would've worked, so basically now finding a nice, low cost (cause of budget concerns which everyone has now a days) replacement - upgraded - aftermarket option to bolt onto the kelsey hayes caliper brackets...
can anyone help me out?

thanks in advance, posting pics/etc soon
WAGZ

Granadas are not going to be found in bone yards anymore. Acme-Autoparts will probably stop selling rotors and pads for them sometime soon too.

Add to that the need to be able to stop alongside (behind) modern cars driven by idiots, and that this is your son we're talking about...

I'd go aftermarket even if the cost is 2 times what a 1967-KH-4piston setup runs.