Disconnected heater?

F8Lstang

Dec 6, 2003
The heater on the car I recently bought hasn't been working, and I figured it was broken. Today I went to install new radiator hoses and discovered that the heater inlet and oulet coolant tubes had been connected, bypassing the heater. I have no idea how long its been like this. Can I just hook it back up to the system? Why would someone do that?

• Sponsors (?)

people do it all the time when the heater core goes south (and leaks coolant all over the interior). you could try to hook it up, but i would bet you will find that sweet sickening aroma when you warm the car up. no other reason to do so. the core is a real pain to replace.
good luck.

HISSIN50 said:
people do it all the time when the heater core goes south (and leaks coolant all over the interior). you could try to hook it up, but i would bet you will find that sweet sickening aroma when you warm the car up. no other reason to do so. the core is a real pain to replace.
good luck.
Yep, I did that to both my car because the core was leaking. It gets all over the passanger side floor and makes a mess.

the film on the windshield gets annoying too. its like someone put silicone all over it. makes lookin at oncoming headlights fun at night. :)