discouragement

fivespeedsteed

Dirt-Old 20+Year Member
Oct 17, 2003
Richmond, VA
my car is being a bully to me lately. how the hell do i make it stop? the interiors out of it, it leaks when it rains BAD, i have no money, the clutch is acting wierd and grabbing in odd ways, car seems to be slow a dump. i just got home from the g.f.'s house (1 year anniv. :) ) and theres a nail in my tire, tire half flat. i mean honestly when is stuff going to stop breaking ?! does this happen to other people here? im really getting discouraged...

on a positive note, the winshield wiper arms that were backordered shipped out, and i just ordered 2 striker bushings, and a weatherstrip kit (door to body) to hopefully fix this leak of mine. still need to get pins bushings and money for labor to install them on driverside before i can use the w-stripping on the driver side.

• Sponsors (?)

When it rains, it pours. I can't tell you how many times I've been ready to push the thing off a cliff so I wouldn't have to worry about it anymore.

I think my worst of times was either:

a) when I kept throwing relays because of a faulty distributor (not bad on the whole except it was pouring at the time and I was only driving to get to a dyno tune appointment which I ultimately ended up missing...and got soaked and nearly killed on the highway). We first thought the relays were getting hit with water somehow (they are after all in my fender, but that never was a problem before) and frying out, so I had a box of them and kept replacing them on the side of the street as they blew...every 5 minutes :crazy: After 3 of those it was concluded that it was definitely something else, and turned out to be the distributor pickup coil being ****. Put the stock unit back in and it hasn't given me a lick of trouble since.

b) getting ready for the FFW nationals show and I had a barrage of bull**** which included but was not limited to a whining PS pump, shredding a belt, and blowing a tranny cooler line on my radiator and losing coolant, all while trying to finish up on a few new modifications I was doing and trying to clean the ****er for the show. Talk about nerve-racking, but thankfully it all came together as planned.

So hang in there and keep your head level. You'll be ok as long as you really care to make it so. Regarding the "no money" part, I'm not sure what to tell ya :shrug:

We all have our fair share of issues, with our cars. Some more than others. Hell, I went to take my car in to put in a new clutch last month, and I walk out to my car and it wouldnt start up. Fockin battery. I get that fixed, and notice a big dent in my H Pipe. AND THEN, my girl gets in the passanger seat, and when she trys to exit the car, door wouldnt open from the inside. Each time something breaks, it gets fixed because I love driving da 5 oh. Just fix it as it comes along, and drive on.

Dude, you have noe idea how pissed I am, I have been trying to fix my freaking problem, it doesn't run!! So now I have a computer being shipped to me, and I just installed a 255 lph FP over the stock 95, and someone tried to break into my car over winter break when I was gone and the passenger side door handle is broken.... list goes on and on so you gotta just keep on keepin on. Is keep a weird word is that just me?? lmao

I started with a play car/fixer uper...first week alt went....then water pump...then balancer....then.....well it's never really stopped since then. Time may heal all wounds but it wears out parts as well.

The other week i just replaced my alt. The transmissions been going for some time now. It slips from first right into third now, and I can barely accelerate in 4th or it'll just slip out of gear and rev up without going anywhere. I'm burning a small amount of oil somewhere. I don't know what the problem there is. Theres no smoke, but I can smell it, and when I check the oil it doesn't look milky or anything.

It's just part of owning and older car. Something else pops up every few days in my car, it's just a fact of owning it unfortunately.

I drove a drunk friend home recently (how nice, right?)...he ended up breaking my door handle on the passenger side...sweet.

Just had to get valve cover gaskets because they were leaking oil.

Passenger side sun-shade thingy is broken, and I need a new one.

Transmission (recently rebuilt) is going and needs a new gearset...sweet.

The list goes on. Why do I continue? Because I love my car. Just hang in there.

my wife keeps breaking my passenger doorhandles. since I banned her from my stang nothing bad has happened::crosses fingers::

seriously though, your car doesnt sound that bad off. at least it runs. you should do the doors yourself. they arent that hard. I did mine all by myself and it took a little over 2.5 hours to get them both done. and man, let me tell you, that is the best money I have spent on my car in a long time. Autozone hooked me up with striker bushings and door pins for a little under $20. they swing straight and that annoying squeaky door syndrome is gone.

i think everyone gets mad at their car and wants to destroy it sometimes.

when i first bought my car, i loved it, i had gotten my dream 5.0 GT i always wanted. it wasnt too fast but compared to my old 2.3 stang it was screaming.

i took it to the track, ran a best of 16.7, told people here and got made fun of lol. i started to hate my car, i feel i didnt have a "real" mustang. for months i wanted to sell my car, i couldnt stand it, i hated the AOD, i always wanted a stickshift. then i said to myself. **** it, i am going to swap in my own t5 deal.

while looking for a swap kit i found a nice rebuilt 8.8 with 3.90s in it, i put it in, it helped alot but still didnt feel like it should.

my lucky day came, i found a complete t5 swap kit for 400$, and threw it in, i was ready for what was about to happen. the car felt like a TOTALLY different car. would fry the tires and get sideways very easy. took it back to the track after the t5 swap, gears and had a good tires and managed a 14.1 first time out. went back again and got a 13.9 and all with a STOCK engine. i added a bunch of bolt ons too which helped alot.

i felt acomplished and wanted to rebuild a nice engine, i got a cheap longblock. tore it down, rebuilt it, and threw some thumper heads, tmoss lower, i port matched my upper and i got a B-cam and advanced it 4 degrees. got it all running good and its screaming, has loads more power. i am expecting low 13s maybe high 12 next track trip.

i took my car from its low point, ran bad and made it into a decently fast car. people who know me look at my car and tell em alot how they like my car more than lots of other stangs out there, that look better and run faster. they see all the hard work and sweat i put into this car. i am proud of it.

moral of story... just stick it out and good things will come, the key to life is patience, my dad told me this and he is RIGHT

It must be something in the air, because I have grown quite frustrated with my car too... to the point that I have seriously considered getting rid of it.. Can't find the time or money to fix anything the way I want it, what really has pushed me over the edge is my endless search :Damnit: on finding a set of white leather seats from a 99 - 04 mustang.. Tired Tired TIRED of it!!!

Yeah, FoxFan has come a long way, but is an example of what dedcation and keeping a goal and staying on it can do. I am suprised he didn't end up in the nuthouse, but he pulled through.

I know about frustration, I'm going through it. Bought a car last year figuring I would fix up and sell it so I could get a decent setup for the ole foxbody but since then I can't get squat for it. It might be at the auction soon.

thanks for the replies everyone. so i kept on with my day, i tried seafoaming it before and not much of a result.. i did it again today, sucked in more of it, bout half a can, let sit for good 30 -45 minutes then had a nice smokeshow. so now thats done... then i washed it, and waxed it all up with my mothers carnuba wax. looks amazing. still leaks, and is not fun to drive around downtown, but thigs arent messing up as much. i just have to work.

if ive learned anything, its to not put stuff off. i kept buying things to replace, thinking id get around to it, but i just put it off, now i have tons of crap to do.

anyways, thanks again i really mean it

oh yeah, my 1 year anniv. with the g.f. went great. she started crying when i gave her the ring i got her. white gold, diamond in it. spent about 220 on that, lifetime insured. she gave me a beast ass wallet, nice neclace and 20 dollars "specifically for gas" becasue she knows how much i have been struggling with money lately (had to borrow 40 from pops for dinner)