Discussion: Impressions on your Cobra/Explorer/GT-40 intake install.

Mattys5Oh

Founding Member
Sep 28, 2002
Western, Mass
Discussion: Impressions on your Cobra/Explorer/GT-40 intake performance.

Well it's been nearly 5 days since I completed my Explorer Intake install and at first I was not impressed at all. After giving it a chance, I am pretty happy with the results that I feel.

I still have to adjust my timing with a gun to make sure it's exactly where I want it to be. I feel like I have lost a little down low but once 3500-4000rpm comes around it pulls very hard!

I also installed Explorer injectors at the same time because I happen to like the disc style better myself and my stock injectors were hammered. I do know I need to an AFPR which will come soon.

I also have an Explorer TB to install but didn't want to install both at the same time so I could feel the gains of each as opposed to a package.

Overall, I must say that I am happy with the intake. BUT I would advise to stay away from the Explorer lower if possible. There's too much that has to be done to it for it to be a direct bolt-on. It is still worth it if you can;t get your hands on anything else.

What are/were your first impressions guys?

Matt

• Sponsors (?)

Mine was a breeeze to install. I reused the Explorer heater tubes and that solved the ECT problem. I used a new EGR spacer and used the stock explorer cooling lines for it.

Relocating the ACT was simple after I gave it some thought. It ended up in the stock cold air box near the upper radiator hose. Some shrink tubing and extra connector pins made the job to extend the wiring quick & easy.

My cobra was also a breeze to install of course its a little easier than the explorer cause every thing transfers over. Got it all done in a few hors or so, wasnt that bad at all.

I'm like you mattys50h I didnt really notice a difference down low but once my car hits 3000 rpm it takes off and pulls hard till about 5500 rpm. All and all I'm happy with the results, I just need to get new MAS to go with it cause the stock one is blockin some air to it....