Dissapointed -w- V6?

More than enough

Any i4 or v6 car is enough speed and power to get you in serious trouble. Since this is a first car, and you are already talking about nitrous, maybe you should reconsider why your parents don't want you to have an earlier license. We had an incident recently were an 18 yr old and 19 yr old friend were killed near Lopez Lake here in Calif. He was driving a WRX and tried to pass on a double yellow at high speed and lost it. They went off road and into a creek. Sometime you do not get a second chance. Rumor I heard was that he had previously rolled a car, but I can not confirm that. My first ride was a Honda 70, then a 100cc. Then I got a car. I am thankful I did not kill myself on the motorcycle. It seems to almost be a target for cars... anyway, just be careful out there. Take some time to learn your limits, and the cars limits, then cut some slack for the un-expected. In a world of crazy drivers, SUVs, and who knows what in the road, even the best or the best drivers can lose it. A crash at say 120 MPH or 135 is gonna look much worse than 60 to 80 MPH. If I was young again, and was looking for real speed fun, I would consider getting into racing cars. You can practice on track, bend cars you don't own, and have a safer environment to do so. Guess you can go out to some drag tracks for not much money. If ya do have fun. Avoid road racing though, as it is not only unsafe, it could bite back at you for the rest of your life if you do something stupid. And yes, I know old people do stupid things too :D
Also consider the Miata, if you are not on freeways in the city much. A Miata is fun for back roads. A pretty easy car to learn. It talks to ya, and you get a pretty good idea how it handls and how to drive it within a few months. Oh yeah, one more bit of advice. When you go out and buy a car, be sure to pay cash and not finance it. Try to stay as much debt free in life and you pretty much have it made. No reason to enrich a bank while buying a car.

:flag: LOREN

• Sponsors (?)

"No reason to enrich a bank while buying a car." :nice: I'm with you on that. I had a 2001 GT hard top and let me tell you, I signed my life away on that stupid thing. I was 18 at the time and, to tell the truth, I didn't care what the payments were going to be, I just wanted the V8. Well, two crashes later, one severe single car, I understood why my parents didn't like the idea in the first place. In answer to your question, being that I've owned four Mustangs (81 4 banger stickshift for my first car :D , 2000 V6 auto hardtop, 2001 GT hardtop, current 2003 V6 hardtop auto) I can tell you first hand that the costs of owning a GT more than kill the buzz of owning one. You'd be paying double, if not triple in gas, insurance...well.... :nonono: ...anyway, I mean come on, it's bad enough on the six. I'm more than happy with the performance of my auto, even though it gets hated on for being both a six and an auto. I've bested a bone stock Iroc-Z in the quarter (go ahead and flame, it's the truth....I'm proud of that one ;). However, I also didn't buy my car to road race. Only occasionally head to the track. It's your first car and you want to use Nos? You ARE going to kill yourself even in a six. As someone mentioned earlier, the six will get you from 0-traffic ticket plenty fast. Nos will get you from 0-DOA even faster. I don't think your friend's Monte Carlo is going to be a problem for you...the Stang definitly wins the weight war on that one. So, I'm going to say go with the six and soup it up some if you'd like. Otherwise, if you get the GT, you'll have a fun time staring at it sitting in your driveway on empty and uninsured only months from repossesion..lol. Whatever you decide, be smart and drive safe :nice:

Ok guys, you could ask anyone that knows me, and they would say that I am a VERY cautios (sp) driver, I own a mx bike but am not into mx because of the risks that are involved, I have a yz125 and have never gone into 5th (out of 6 gears) its just to dang fast for me. Just so you dont get the wrong impression, I am a very respectfull and responsible driver, I live out in the country (not in L.A. or Vegas) and just like to have fun -w- my friends every now and then, but am never stupid (or try not to be :) ).
About NOS, I doubt that I would EVER use it, jus one of those things that you can say "Well Ive got ... " I know enough about cars and nos, and aggree -w- you guys about the danger of it for the average kid who likes to show off.

I hope youll forgive my lack of clarification of my previous posts to make it sound as if I was looking for excitement and good times -w- the fast and furious.

Later.

M.C.

"No reason to enrich a bank while buying a car."
im with ya on that one bro. pay in full all the way, dont let those sharks get you on financing plans. i paid for mine in full and dont regret one bit of it. it makes it a whoel lot easier when ur trying to sell the car off too.

Soon2BStung said:
Hey guys! Im new here, so Ill tell you a little about myself first.

~Mark~
power wise it's an embarassment. Looks hella tough, runs like a slug. But then again gasoline is over $2 a gallon now so it's starting to look better. Just don't buy one with an automatic if you do decide to go with a V6. Too much power loss through that tranny. Ask me about other aspects of my Mustang and all I'll do is praise it, though.

Honestly, I can't say I'm really disappointed with my v6. Actually, for a first car, can't really ask for more. I caught a lot of flack from people at school, the cruise ins, etc. "Who buys a v6 mustang, v6's are for girls, v6's are slow, my buddy's civic beat a v6 mustang" etc etc etc. It's still more than enough to get me in trouble. You can get a 99 or 00 model used now for a great price if you look around, and new ones can be had in the 15-17k range.

I, however, always wanted a 5.0. So after driving the 6 for a while I went out and bought an older 5.0 in rough shape and started working on it. So my v6 is the daily driver and now my autocross toy, while I play around with the 5.0 on the weekends.

Soon2BStung said:
Ok guys, you could ask anyone that knows me, and they would say that I am a VERY cautios (sp) driver, I own a mx bike but am not into mx because of the risks that are involved, I have a yz125 and have never gone into 5th (out of 6 gears) its just to dang fast for me. Just so you dont get the wrong impression, I am a very respectfull and responsible driver, I live out in the country (not in L.A. or Vegas) and just like to have fun -w- my friends every now and then, but am never stupid (or try not to be :) ).
About NOS, I doubt that I would EVER use it, jus one of those things that you can say "Well Ive got ... " I know enough about cars and nos, and aggree -w- you guys about the danger of it for the average kid who likes to show off.

I hope youll forgive my lack of clarification of my previous posts to make it sound as if I was looking for excitement and good times -w- the fast and furious.

Later.

M.C.

Ah it's cool man :cheers: As for the NOS, well, I don't know if you've priced a kit yet but it sure is alot of money to spend for a conversation piece. You could easily slap you on some nice bolt ons for about the same price and have noticeable, LEGAL power gains..lol. That's what I would do, but that's only my opinion, so take it for what it's worth. It's cool that you're cautious and everything, but getting into a sports car can truly change a person. Someone who is normally very cautious can make just one stupid decision and really screw something up. Just try to keep safety in mind. And I think we all know you aren't looking to be fast and furious...you got the sense of mind to look at buying a Stang, don't ya? :D Laterz

We don't hate other cars! We just find it strange that someone that doesnt have a Mustang is in this forum. I just sold my '67 Nova 327 and you wont find me in the Nova forums. Why would I?
Any way, I am glad you like Mustangs!

I know everyones against posers, but why not just slap a NOS sticker on the side of your car? Its hella cheaper. And besides, someone wants to challenge you, just so they can see NOS in action, just tell them they aint worth it. Spit out some numbers like, you're not worth filling up the bottle. I know thats why I'll never have NOS. Not only is the setup expensive, but if I had it, I'd be using it every chance I got. Having to fill up the bottle would be a horrendous burden.

That, and after seeing that eclispe explode in that F&F movie, is another reason not to get it. Sure, its cuz the car was shot to death, but I've see tons of pics of stangs posted that showed the aftermath what happened when they had a NOS leak or whatever in their car. Very very sickning.

The Brahma Bull said:
Do REAL mods before you pull a ricer cheat and use nitrous.

Come on, thats like saying a flea flicker in football is cheating; its part of the game. There is nothing wrong with nitrous. It costs a pretty penny to fill up bottles and before long youll rack up the price it would cost ya to get a supercharger. But, its more convienent for the everyday driven car.

Mean03V6 said:
Ah it's cool man :cheers: As for the NOS, well, I don't know if you've priced a kit yet but it sure is alot of money to spend for a conversation piece. You could easily slap you on some nice bolt ons for about the same price and have noticeable, LEGAL power gains..lol. That's what I would do, but that's only my opinion, so take it for what it's worth. It's cool that you're cautious and everything, but getting into a sports car can truly change a person. Someone who is normally very cautious can make just one stupid decision and really screw something up. Just try to keep safety in mind. And I think we all know you aren't looking to be fast and furious...you got the sense of mind to look at buying a Stang, don't ya? :D Laterz

For the record my nitrous kit was 300 dollars and i installed it myself. u just gotta find someone that took it outta their car. People blow their engines all the time using nitrous, easy to find a cheap kit.

ganador01 said:
People blow their engines all the time using nitrous, easy to find a cheap kit.

Oh good, thats just what he needs for a first car! Get yourself a dependable v6. Keep it for a couple of years, when you have the time, money, and a spare car, you can mess with stuff like NOS and superchargers. You blow an engine at that age, your age and the cars age, you wont have enough money for a new engine, plus, you wont have enough for another car.

I worry about my car a lot due to its age. Its got no major work to the engine, but 132k miles, man! I'm worried that if the transmission or engine or whatever goes, what'll happen? If one of those goes I'll want to swap in a better engine, which means I'll hafta swap everything, trans, computer, exhast, everything. It would suck if due to money and time I could only replace it with another v6.

How long do you plan to keep the car? If long, I suggest getting the v6 and see what time does to it. Get custom body stuff when its involved in collisions, when something goes engine wise, upgrade it. Basically upgrade stuff when you have to. You'll never know what can happen to a car. Keep a savings account for it. That $300 you were saving for NOS may come in handy when it blows two tires. Everyone should have a rainy day mustang fund.

Mean03V6 said:
It's cool that you're cautious and everything, but getting into a sports car can truly change a person. Someone who is normally very cautious can make just one stupid decision and really screw something up. Just try to keep safety in mind. And I think we all know you aren't looking to be fast and furious...you got the sense of mind to look at buying a Stang, don't ya? :D Laterz

Very, very true. The Mustang, even in v6 trim, is a pretty formidable car. Sure, its based on a platform developed during the Carter Administration, blah blah, but IMO people dont give it enough credit.

The car def has NOTICEABLE improvements in handling, braking, drivetrain etc - especially if your used to normal/family/economy cars.

I remember going from my 97 Mazda Millenia S to my brand new 03 V6 mustang - i found that i could take corners at a higher speed, brake later and still stop at the same spot, etc. - The car definitly has a platform designed with performance in mind.

The point is, it is still VERY EASY to get in trouble with this car, even in its "slow" v6 form.

I mean, it all comes down to your choice - but IMO the v6 is one of the best daily driver cars and "first" cars.

i have a 99 35th anni edition v6, and im not dissappointed at all. i think the new model v6's are very underrated because 190 hp and 220 lb/ft torque is a lot of power. i mean, my stang isnt the fastest car in the world but its fast enough to beat most of my friends (most of whom happen to drive slow 4 cylinder hondas ha ha!) i think that if u bought a '99+ v6 like mine and put some upgrades on, u could probably keep up with an older model GT ('98 and older), but not a newer one.

CarlsV6 said:
Honestly, I can't say I'm really disappointed with my v6. Actually, for a first car, can't really ask for more. I caught a lot of flack from people at school, the cruise ins, etc. "Who buys a v6 mustang, v6's are for girls, v6's are slow, my buddy's civic beat a v6 mustang" etc etc etc. It's still more than enough to get me in trouble. You can get a 99 or 00 model used now for a great price if you look around, and new ones can be had in the 15-17k range.

I, however, always wanted a 5.0. So after driving the 6 for a while I went out and bought an older 5.0 in rough shape and started working on it. So my v6 is the daily driver and now my autocross toy, while I play around with the 5.0 on the weekends.

Dude, if your first car is a v6 Mustang then you're priveledged. Mine was a piece of crap 76 Ford Torino. it was a v8 and I'll tell you right now I'd rather have a v6 Mustang. I wanted a Mustang since I was 16. But unfortunately my torino experience was so horrible I swore off Mustangs and Ford altogether until I turned 35. I had gotten tired of driving crummy GM cars (some were brand new and still crap) that I was going to buy a Toyote Clelica Gt. The sales dude looked at me after I told him I wasn't going to pay that much for a Toyota and said, "I know what you want..." He took me onto the lot and brought me to a 98 GT with 9700 miles on it. this was about 2 years ago... He fired it up, i got into it and before 1st gear was fully engaged I was SOLD. Later I bought a v6 2000 Mustang. Only thing about it I don't like is the automatic transmission. I like the 99+ body style better too. Anyways, sorry about rambling on... You're lucky to have a Mustang as a first car. 8) My buddies first car was a Chevy ][... 4 doors no less. hehehe

CarlsV6 said:

Dude, if your first car is a v6 Mustang then you're priveledged. Mine was a piece of crap 76 Ford Torino. it was a v8 and I'll tell you right now I'd rather have a v6 Mustang. I wanted a Mustang since I was 16. But unfortunately my torino experience was so horrible I swore off Mustangs and Ford altogether until I turned 35. I had gotten tired of driving crummy GM cars (some were brand new and still crap) that I was going to buy a Toyote Clelica Gt. The sales dude looked at me after I told him I wasn't going to pay that much for a Toyota and said, "I know what you want..." He took me onto the lot and brought me to a 98 GT with 9700 miles on it. this was about 2 years ago... He fired it up, i got into it and before 1st gear was fully engaged I was SOLD. Later I bought a v6 2000 Mustang. Only thing about it I don't like is the automatic transmission. I like the 99+ body style better too. Anyways, sorry about rambling on... You're lucky to have a Mustang as a first car. 8) My buddy's first car was a Chevy ][... 4 doors no less. hehehe