Distributor autozone sucks compared to motorcraft?

Creomod

5 Year Member
Sep 14, 2018
San Antonio,Texas
Am I tripping or what?I bought a new stock distbutor from autozone and I just want to know if anyone has expepericed this.I installed the new autozone one and it souded like the engine was low power at idel.I moved it to advance and it just made the car sound weak.It wanted to turn off.I installed it correctly I simply removed the motorcraft original and installed the autozone one in same postion.Im assumming i installed right or it wouldntev started.Sooo I took it off and put back the motorcraft and it sounded wayyyy better at idel and it didnt shut off once i advaced it.I turned it clockwise to advance i belive.I wanted to replace the motorcraft becuse I have the cobra r hood with the scoop hole and IHATE IT THE rain water ends up on distrbutor .I just bought this car and wanted to buy a new one because i have no idea how old it is.So anyone know about this.O i bought the one with a steel gear.Does that make a diffrence?O god I forgot how to spell

• Sponsors (?)

The electronics on reman distributors are not great.

not a whole lot of demand for 302 replacement parts these days, so contract is out to the lowest bidder in a dwindling pool. Quality is in the gutter. You are better off refreshing your original distributor

Reactions: 1 user
The electronics on reman distributors are not great.

not a whole lot of demand for 302 replacement parts these days, so contract is out to the lowest bidder in a dwindling pool. Quality is in the gutter. You are better off refreshing your original distributor
I like that where or who would rebuild it?Do they still sell motorcraft?I looked lmr but they seem to be the same

I thought I had a problem with my original Motorcraft dist so I bought a Cardone reman. It was not my problem but I left the Cardone in there anyway. It's been two years and no problem with the reman. The Motorcraft is on the shelf for backup. On long road trips I even carry the original dist and a backup A9L ECU with me.

I thought I had a problem with my original Motorcraft dist so I bought a Cardone reman. It was not my problem but I left the Cardone in there anyway. It's been two years and no problem with the reman. The Motorcraft is on the shelf for backup. On long road trips I even carry the original dist and a backup A9L ECU with me.
That’s amusing. You guys carry back up ignition system systems on “ long road trips”.

How long is that exactly? Like 200 miles?

If i couldn’t trust my car to get me home, I‘d leave it at home.

Reactions: 2 users
I think it’s amusing that anyone thinks they could predict when an electronic component would fail. Or, is there something I’m missing in this regard?

These older cars can have unpredictable problems. Is that an unreasonable assumption?

Show me a local parts store that “stocks” an A9L, or even an older 5.0 distributor.

I think it’s amusing that anyone thinks they could predict when an electronic component would fail. Or, is there something I’m missing in this regard?

These older cars can have unpredictable problems. Is that an unreasonable assumption?

Show me a local parts store that “stocks” an A9L, or even an older 5.0 distributor.
Dude. Sell the freakin car if you can’t trust it to go to the beach. You really need to go to a local cruise in. Not only do they have original fox mustangs there, but stuff from the 70’s, 60’s 50’s,…hell even model A’s running original flathead drivetrain.
My car is the poster child for “ what happens if”, .. but no way in hell am I gonna drag a NAPA parts store along with me for fear of a part failure. And I drive it 600 miles round trip all without more than a screwdriver, and my cell phone taking up space in the car.
Your car managed to make it this far with parts from the factory..I’m sure it’ll make it a few more years.

In the future, Foxbodys will fail to start because of failed ECU’s. Mine did so unpredictably, but luckily it happened to be in my garage when it happened. Had I been 200 miles away, I’d have been looking at a hefty towing bill and a spoiled weekend perhaps.

Now, I’m not silly enough to carry an in tank fuel pump and everything required to change it. But an ECU that can be changed with a Phillips head and a 10mm wrench in 10 minutes, I’m there.

I’ll promise you this, I’m confident in long road trips in any of my cars, but like I said, many failures are unpredictable and leave you stranded. So when Foxbodys fail to start from bad ECU, some will be towed. Mine won’t be

To each their own Mike. Peace

One other point.

I think there’s logic in carrying spare parts, especially ones that are not readily available, small and easy to change. However, I fail to see logic in assuming your car won’t break down.

I have the cobra r hood with the scoop hole and IHATE IT THE rain water ends up on distrbutor
If water getting in is an issue, either plug the hole or make it functional. I built myself a SVO style scoop into a stock aero hood and made it functional. My opening is right above the distributor as well so my ductwork helps get the water away.

20200918_205404.jpg

One other point.

I think there’s logic in carrying spare parts, especially ones that are not readily available, small and easy to change. However, I fail to see logic in assuming your car won’t break down.
I don’t think that my car “might” not break down, but trying to anticipate what that “might” be by bringing along a parts store in my trunk is pointless. I think it makes more sense to fix the old junk that “might” fail so that it won’t, and get insurance with towing in case it does. Then my trunk is free for a suitcase and cleaning supplies.
If when a fox mustang was new and the required stipulation to owning one from Ford was “ bring along an extra distributor, and an ECU, cause ya never know when one of these is gonna fail”..There wouldn’t be any fox mustangs.

I have plenty of room to carry what I need, and, what I want. It’s not a NAPA parts store in my trunk. It’s just a few small hard to get parts that if they fail, basically leave you stranded.

Mike, you might carry some stuff that I wouldn’t. But that’s ok, you do you and I’ll do me. That’s pretty simple isn’t it?

Only reason I don’t carry spare parts in my car is because I have towing as part of my insurance package with Haggerty. I don't really road trip the car far enough away to need to carry them with me. I would venture to bet a lot of folks with classics and classic car insurance also have the same safety net. Car breaks down at the car show....just have it towed home since it's part of the policy.

When I buy a brand spanking new car, I always put together a roadside toolbox with spare parts like fuses and hand tools to do things like plug a tire, or swap a battery on the side of the road. I've got one in my DD and one in the wife's DD. I also keep an OBD2 dongle in each to connect to my phone just in case i get a CEL while 100+ miles from home (like i did last week on the wife's car). One electrical component i do keep in my DD is a new fuel pump module because they are known to fail. I have a new one installed now, and a backup in the glovebox.

I don’t fail to see the logic with keeping spare parts on hand for a 30+ year old car, especially given the frequency of issues with the distributor conponents and ECUs. It’s not a bad idea IMHO.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
I actually have first hand experience with being ready to adapt to an unforeseen situation. Once we had 73 Stingray. I had converted the stock distributor to electronic pickup with a Pertronix kit. Unannounced, it failed to start 100 miles from home. Behind the seat in a ziplock bag I had breaker points and condenser. With a flathead screwdriver and 15 minutes I was on the road again.

Our cars obviously keep you thinking about every aspect of sound, and feel for the car. I always say my car gets seventy miles per repair. I bet I could make a three hundred mile round trip, but as old as it is why risk it . Over seven years I have this car running like new so nothing is really left to go bad. All the blue capacitors were replaced by a Mustang mechanic that did it for me without me asking. The PIP is the thing that would leave you stranded and saying WTF.

Dude. Sell the freakin car if you can’t trust it to go to the beach. You really need to go to a local cruise in. Not only do they have original fox mustangs there, but stuff from the 70’s, 60’s 50’s,…hell even model A’s running original flathead drivetrain.
My car is the poster child for “ what happens if”, .. but no way in hell am I gonna drag a NAPA parts store along with me for fear of a part failure. And I drive it 600 miles round trip all without more than a screwdriver, and my cell phone taking up space in the car.
Your car managed to make it this far with parts from the factory..I’m sure it’ll make it a few more years.

If your car breaks down, it's going to be the spare part you don't have anyway. Guaranteed!!

Kurt

• Agree