Distributor install confustion

warmdye

Founding Member
Oct 2, 2000
Out in the Desert
I am installing a new distributer and have a suspision that the distributer currently installed in the car is not timed right. I'm pretty sure its wrong but just want to do a sanity check.

So I used the "finger over the spark plug hole" method to locate when the number 1 piston is on its compression stroke. No problem. So my question is: Should the distributor rotor be pointing at the #1 cylinder at 30 degrees (BTDC) or at 0 degress (TDC) on the compression stroke? The distributer in the car now has the rotor pointing towards the #1 cylinder at BTDC.

• Sponsors (?)

The rotor should be pointing roughly at the driver's seat with the HO firing order to have the TFI module pointing forward and to the driver's side. Actually, the rotor should just point at the #1 terminal on the distributor cap with room to turn it to get the proper timing. Doesnt matter if its 180* out as long as you can rotate the housing enough to get the right timing.

warmdye said:
Yes, but should the timing pointer be at 0 degrees TDC or 30 degrees BTDC when the distibutor is in the position you described?

Come on now this one should be and easy one for you guys.

O degrees, then set base timing with a timing light. Be sure to remove the SPOUT when settting timing and re-install it when you finish.

jrichker said:
O degrees, then set base timing with a timing light. Be sure to remove the SPOUT when settting timing and re-install it when you finish.

Thats what I thought, thanks. I'm ready to see how this baby runs with the distributor installed correctly

I don't see how the car was running and was able to be timed correctly the way it is now with the rotor pointing at the #1 cylinder and the timing pointer at 30 degrees BTDC. The car did run and was fast at WOT but didn't cruise very well. Any thoughts?