Do any of you find yourselves wanting an s197?

I actually had a S197 for about a year and sold it and went back to an 02. Don't get me wrong, the S197 is literally a superior car in every way from a technical standpoint, however I really feel some of the Mustang spirit was lost. And it is just too big of a car.

I enjoy my 02 a lot more :)

• Sponsors (?)

I'd love to have one. But I wont buy one. It is a superior car by far, but I have a few issues with them. Most of them have already been mentioned. I think I could get over the optical illusion of it being so much larger due to the body; I could even get over the weight.

The #1 thing though is I'm far more comfortable in mine. If I'm going to push a mustang to the limit, I'd rather be in a new edge vs a S197 any day. They are much more comfortable, and in my mind the ideal high HP cruiser. But back in the twisties, or really hammering down a straight, I feel better in my 00'. I've driven several S197's and I still feel the same way.

i hear the new edges and aero just have more of a mustang feel to them, i have ridden in my friends v6 07 and its so smooth and comfortable and nice compared to my car. I cant really compare because i have only driven my 99 but i like the new edge bodies better and i like the light weight v8 feel to them, but i dont know i am going to have to drive a s197 some day.

I bit the bullet and decided to get one. I miss not having a car note however I can't complain too much since I walked out with a pretty good deal. My h&r race springs should be in this week which will be a nice addition to the few mods I do have. The car responds well to mods and the interior is nice enough to get compliments (which never happened in the 98 of course).

I've decided to have both a sn95 and a s197. The s197 is a nice daily driver and my 98 will be the fun car.

Dang i didn't know you got an 06! Congrats! Also, how is the forged motor build going? I will be doing the same thing soon so i imagine ill have a bunch of questions for you!

Dang i didn't know you got an 06! Congrats! Also, how is the forged motor build going? I will be doing the same thing soon so i imagine ill have a bunch of questions for you!

Maddox's 06 looks sweet! His 2v will always be slow:p

I'm sure his car is going to be quick. He is kind of hiding the whole project which makes me think that its going to go down the track in the low 11's/10's when it is done.

I'm sorry, but I don't know how anybody doesn't like the look of the hot ones. Sure, some look like crap, but so do some of ours. Some of these just plain get my blood pumping. That front end, when done right, is hard to beat. IMO. Here's just a few I found here for an example.;)

67439603dd8.jpg

70649806fc3.jpg

4151963849_4180391224.jpg

3861467766_d3504e5a47_o.jpg

003-1.jpg

2007GT001.jpg

The only thing I like about the S197's (pre-2010) was the 3V. I think the new edges look much better.

For me it's just a different look. I looooove the look of mine but the new ones have a lot to offer in the looks department also. Again, different tastes. Like I hate the aero Stangs. Everyone's got their taste or lack of it I guess.;)

Back in 2005/06, this sub-forum was full of hate towards the S197. My, my, my, how times have changed. :rlaugh:
OMG I remember posting in 4.6 and 5.0 when I first got my first S197. I was a sinner! I still love the older ones, but I wouldn't trade mine for one (well, I'd trade for a Termi or late 60's, early 70 model, but that's it)

3795460911_82082cbf1b_o.jpg

Back in 2002/2003 when the new S197 design was unveiled, I was itching for a 2005. I had been saving up to buy a 2005 GT when they were going to be available.

But, I gave in to temptation early and bought my 2003 Sonic Blue GT, putting down a nice chunk of change from what I had been saving up. I paid it off in 2005.

I still somewhat lusted for an S197 after that. A friend bought a new '07 GT convertible and let me take it for a spin the night he bought it. I thought it was so much smoother than my '03. I still wanted one. I'd find myself going to the dealer lots every now and then and just checking out what was on the lot...a 2008 Vista Blue California Special caught my eye one time...but I didn't go for it.

When the 2010s were introduced, I was even more tempted and now find the appeal of the '05-'09s to have diminished some. And now the 2011s are all the more tempting. I just wish I had a good chunk of cash to spare!!

I just love having a car that's paid off, and it's still fun to drive. I don't plan on getting rid of my '03 any time soon either...it's got 113K miles on it and still runs strong.

Do any of you find yourselves wanting an s197?

Short answer: No

I like how the quality of the car is alot better and has a bigger trunk, better sound system, etc but really I wish they would stop all of this retro nonsense. I mean it would have interesting to have a retro-styled mustang out for a couple of years or so like the Chevy SSR but to convert the whole Mustang lineup to a retro themed car for this long is ridiculous to me. Lately, I've been considering all types of other cars other than the Mustang including the M3, STi, Evo, A4, Supra, Vette and a few others. But, I know Ford did it mainly for their older buyers and people who bought Mustangs in the 60s and 70s.

deftsound said:
I picked up the 06 a few months ago and have finally ordered a few parts for it just to make it enjoyable (cai/programmer/tune/h&r race springs). The car responds well to mods and fits in as a daily driver with over 20mpg which is better than the truck that I was driving. When you get back in from the boat i'll let you drive it but don't expect it to be 400+ horsepower quick ;)

As far as the motor goes, just let me know when you are ready to start piecing it all together and i'll give a hand. The motor is ready to go and I am still keeping my eye open for a few more parts before piecing it all together. I promised myself I wouldn't cut corners on the build so I am doing it all at once rather than going back in at a later time to swap items out. It's going to take some abuse from my s-trim boost wise so I have high hopes for the car. I still have to rig up an intercooler setup (cxracing most likely) though with painting the car, and the motor in the garage it gets difficult :flag:
Winters98GT said:
Maddox's 06 looks sweet! His 2v will always be slow

I'm sure his car is going to be quick. He is kind of hiding the whole project which makes me think that its going to go down the track in the low 11's/10's when it is done.
The little ole 2v will be ready for the Z--I suggest you start looking at some HSW kits soon to make it interesting at HRP ;)
Not hiding the project, I just expect to surprise a few people when I am done with it ;) Those times are what we are shooting for with the car :nice: