Do I need a SFI balancer and flexplate for the street?

jb1dsl

May 24, 2004
Marianna, Fl.
Im building a 347 for the street and was wondering do I really need a sfi balancer and flexplate? I will not be racing this car just running around town, so nothing over 6000 rpm max. Can I use a new pioneer balancer and flexplate from the local parts store since I will not be revving super high?

• Sponsors (?)

I would not recommend it. I recently went through this. My brand new pioneer balancer last all of about 1000 or less. When it broke, it took out my waterpump, fan, fan clutch, fan shroud, radiator, and a power steering hose. Mine actually broke at the crank. I went ahead and upgraded to the SFI just to prevent most costly repairs down the road. The old saying is true: Pay me now or pay me later. And usually later includes alot of interest, lol.

No reason to spend the money to build a 347 and not put the right supporting parts on it.

Either way, no matter how much someone says they arent gonna race the car... lets be real. You are spending money to BUILD A 347! Please dont sit here and say you will never take it through the rpms... you would be lying. :rolleyes:

The balancer and flexplate are important parts of engine... don't skimp out in that area.. cool?

That would be fine. I would call and make sure that you dont need a spacer though. Most aftermarket balancers are sort of universal and require spacers to get the correct pulley spacing. I got mine from professional products.

An SFI balancer is one that has met certain safety requirements (I researched this quite a bit last summer and made a post about it, but I can't find it by searching). SFI approval doesn't mean the balancer is good or not, it just means it meets certain safety requirements. I think what it came down to was an SFI balancer is certified to not come off, but don't quote me on that.

I'm gonna try to dig that post up...

I found that post:
http://forums.stangnet.com/showthread.php?t=638413

Here is one of my quotes from that thread:
TheUser said:
From what I understand from some google searching, SFI-Approved just means they're approved by a safety group to fit properly and have 4 bolts for the pulley. One racing group says if you don't have an SFI approved balancer, you must have a shield around your balancer, I guess so if it were to come loose.

BTW, don't interpret my posts as saying not to buy a high quality balancer; I'm saying I wouldn't worry about SFI-approval as much as Brand/Quality.

I ended up going w/ a Ford Racing stock replacement. Then again, I wasn't building a monster 347 like you are. Get a good balancer. For an expensive engine, I'd probably get a Romac just for peace of mind.

So which ones are direct bolt ons without worrying with spacers. Ill be using the timing cover and water pump off my 66 289. The pullies will be serp pullies off a 5.0 and the alt bracket will be an aftermarket one.