Do i need a smog pump pulley delete kit?

Busted07

I need my gorilla to be about an inch longer.
Nov 15, 2005
I have converted to carb, and have deleted the a/c and smog. im wondering if i need the smog pump delete pulley kit, or if i can run a shorter belt without having to worry about the belt being too out of whack.

• Sponsors (?)

Not directly in relation to your application, but a 5.0 nonetheless.... I ran a smaller belt on my '95 5.0 and never had troubles. I left the pump on there, in the event I sold the car to a state with inspections.

Not sure why you state you would worry about the "belt beign too out of whack"....what are you getting at here? :)

No you're fine with the shorter belt. If you search around on the forum you will find a diagram that shows you how to route the belt after you delete the pump. I think thats the best way to go...the pump and all the BS with it weighs like 15-20 lbs....and theres no need to put a pulley there. i think i run a 84.7 inch belt but i have UD pullies. Find the routing diagram...then use a string to find the proper length for your application. good luck man....

You can easily run without that idler pulley. I have no A/C or smog pump. Unfortunately I forgot the belt size though.

I have all my engine may pictures on my other computer, but maybe this will help.

ebay049.jpg

Attachments

• ebay049.jpg
    ebay049.jpg
    96.3 KB · Views: 138
If you don't move your steering pump up after you take off the A/C and the smog pump it will look like you can run a short belt. You can do this untill the belt streches. Once the belt is streched it will rub the part of the belt that goes around the water pump. I thought it would be ok untill the belt streched. To temp the situation I put a small nut to space the tensioner up a little to relive some of the tension off the belt. This will not work at all if you have UD pullies. The best thing is to move the steering pump up.

Hey I bypassed the smog pump on my 1990 GT, I have underdrive pulleys and ford racing a/c eliminator which brings the power steering pump up a little and i use a 72 inch belt, Gates number k060872 i think, but just ask for a 72 inch belt at a parts store...:flag:

95GTV8 said:
I'm also going to be doing this soon aswell, i want to ditch my smog/ac, I sure hope i can run a shorter-belt, and it will route fine w/o having to spend another $60 or so on a free-spinning pulley.

You won't have to get that ugly pulley. Make sure you use the FMS a/c eliminator kit, it makes the shorter belt work better and gives the car a cleaner look.

Thank you for all teh replies! I should have been more specific in what i said by "out of whack" a friend of mine did this, and as autoXstang mentioned, his belt started rubbing. i have the march a/c elinator bracket, and teh only underdrives i have is for the crank. ill probably have to do the tape method to get the belt size and go from there. thank you again for all the responses