Do I really need a dyno tune for a JLT cai?

I have two very reputable Mustang performance shops near me and I'd like to develop a good relationship with them. I got a quote for a JLT cai for my 2014 GT. It's upwards of around $1200. Looking at ittemzed, it make sense, but its still kinds steep for what it is. The service I'm questioning is the DYNO tune @ $400. I'm a class B mechanic so I can easily do the install and figure out the tuner(I'll ask that in another thread), but do I really need to get it on a DYNO?

• Sponsors (?)

I'm almost certain that you can find an off-the-shelf solution and canned tune if your only modification is the tuner.

A dyno-tune for that simple mod should not be necessary. You and I both know that as you continue to mod and get farther away from the base configuration then a tune becomes more and more necessary.

I'm sure someone (SCT or whomever) has a hand-held tuner with a set of basic tunes that you can download and install without a dyno. I could not recommend one brand over the other. I would check on American Muscle and then look at Youtube reviews (I know, it's hard to find the ones that are worth a crap) and see which looks the most suitable.

I don't have a Mustang the same generation as yours. Sorry I wasn't be more help. I'm sure someone will be along that knows more and could make a unit specific recommend for ya.

No your vehicle does not require a dyno tune.

Yes the cold air intakes on the coyotes require a tune. Reason being is that is changes the maf housing size which throws off the maf curve. Most handhelds have can tunes on them that you can use which allows you to add a global percentage to the maf transfer. If so, you can max it out at 30% but on the higher end CAI's thats still not going to be enough. On my website I have the maf transfer for the more common CAIs.

The can tunes for the coyotes are pretty bad I wouldn't recommend using any of them. $400 is a bit steep for a simple CAI tune. At my shop here in new orleans we include a free tune update with the sale of our cold air intakes we sell locally.

Reactions: 1 user
Thanks for everyone's input. Hey Decipha. as much as I like to support my local speed shop, I have a hard time paying hundreds of dollars for unessessary diagnostics or installs. I'm a mechanic, so a CAI and programming is within my wheelhouse. I see your're not a fan of can tunes. Is a BAMA tune considered a can tune? I was contemplating picking up the Airaid/BAMA X4 combo from AM. I wont bother though if I have to pay an indepented shop to have a custom tune. The two mustang shops near me will only perform DYNO tunes. I guess they have to somehow pay the bill for that piece of equipment.