Do Mustang Superchargers Hurt Mustang Engines With A Lot Of Miles?

Isaiah Allen

Jul 3, 2014
I'm looking too buy a 2004 mustang gt with a supercharger in it. The car has 118,000 miles on it with a supercharger in it. I wanted to if the supercharger effect the life of the engine since it have 118,000 miles on it. And also do superchargers improve gas mileage or just makes it worst?

• Sponsors (?)

A blower increases cylinder pressures and thus increases thrust loads on the pistons and gas loads on the bearings. On a stock-internal engine it's pushing the components beyond what the engineers originally designed them to though not necessarily beyond what the parts will take (the so-called "margin" of design.)

So yeah, lots of miles of supercharger use may result in an engine that is more worn than had it remained stock. Before buying I would, at the very least, make the deal contingent on a successful compression test and if that's okay, do a leak-down test when you get the car home.

Thing is, 4.6L 2Vs are common as dirt and cheap. Even if the engine is tired but you like the rest of the car, consider that you can replace the long block for very little.

Reactions: 1 user
I got my car from my brother in law at 70k miles.

At 132k miles, I installed a entry level Vortech kit. Had it tuned at 380rwhp/378rwtq.

At 155k miles, I had a new timing set installed.

Currently has 181k miles and still running, but I change fluids religously..They are out there, but you need a reliable car owner behind the car in question. Pick his brain, if he knows what different sounds are and didn't just throw parts on to make it faster, you should be getting a decent vehicle, on top of if the engine compression test comes out good.